To think that the British work is insidious

(132 Posts)
Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:40

And petty and full of cronies...

Just that.

Marshy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:54:57

Signing off now for wine and curry after a hard week trying to be a good manager! Good luck OP - I'd have you on my team!

ilovesooty Fri 05-Oct-12 21:55:27

I don't think teaching is poorly paid.

I also don't think teamwork involves carrying people weaker than you necessarily. It's about pulling together, accepting differences and enjoying commonality, and doing your level best and working with integrity and decency.

Can you tell I like my job and feel privileged to have my colleagues and managers?

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 21:56:06

Silibilimili ... not sure.

Of course there is lots of politics in teaching. But most of time I am in the classroom, which is great.

The higher echelons of the Civil Service are something totally different. The level of nastiness/incompetence/cronyism is beyond belief.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:56:39

bry, I am not nice or nasty. I do my work extremely well, but watch people who can talk the talk but not do much go above me.

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 21:58:07

Silibilimili, you say teaching wont pay you enough.
I dont actually know what ordinary teachers get paid,,but they are not on strike,so I sort of assume they are getting a decentish wage.
Which begs the question,and I dont mean to be rude,but why do you need to earn more than what I assume is a pretty average salary for the country.
Do you have large overheads?
Do you need to work in a work environment,that probably means you earn more,which probably means the people working there are more competitive,which probably means it feels like some of them would sell their granny?
Actually this post is coming across to me as a bit harsh,and for all I know could be complete rubbish.But I cant be bothered to redo it,so hope you do not take offence.

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 21:59:00

marriedinwhite,what do you do to "play the game"?

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:59:01

That's the thing sili; and the bad people know it. The world is full of brilliant people who do not get promoted. It's not enough to do your job well, even brilliantly. You have to put other people down, compare their work unfavourably to yours and kiss ass, even publicly, shamefully.

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 22:00:47

amillionyears - I expenct that Silibilimili is actually working hard, good at her job and wants some recognition for a change. Rather than seeing not very clever and possibly someone not really pulling his weight being promoted above her.

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 22:02:22

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hold that thought - make a noise about yourself.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 22:02:31

amillion, your post is good. Don't worry.
It's not even the money. By should I give up something I love because of these people?
There has to be some tricks of the trade in can learn to 'play the game' and not compromise my morals/integrity?

FootLikeATractionEngine Fri 05-Oct-12 22:03:06

Silibilimili, I used to think that the good will out. It won't. If it's feasible to find another job in a more fitting organisation, I would do so.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 22:04:11

I have spoken up before at this place and have been severely reprimanded for it.

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 22:05:07

Yeah, upwards and outwards if you can (different department, client type business, etc.)

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:06:34

I am waiting to see what Silibilimili says,but now that my kids are older,one of the first things we look at when they apply for jobs,is the ethos of the company.
If we dont like the look of it,we dont apply.

obviously now that the op is working there,not such an easy situation.

Also,to me,what we do or dont do in life,is a series of priorities.
To me,work culture is quite a high priority,so if Sili doesnt like it there,she needs to look around for companies that would hopefully appreciate her.

marriedinwhite Fri 05-Oct-12 22:06:40

I don't know "a million years". Go in, get there on time, don't rock the boat, be nice to people, be honest, don't shaft anyone, protect colleagues when necessary, follow procedure where necessary, bend procedure where one can. Agree generally and if things need changing do it incrementally, trying to get people on side first.

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:12:44

bend procedure where one can?
What do you mean by that?

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 22:12:53

amillion, I did not realise the culture is like this before I joined. All was well for a whole while. Things started going belly up when i did not want to do the 12hr days to meet deadlines for nothing jn return etc. it's hard to choose an 'ethical' company. How do you know what the culture is like?!

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:13:54

op,what did you speak up about?
Does your workplace have a culture of non whistleblowing?

dikkert I'm in the Civil Service and I don't 'lick arse' - I also work with a lot of people with principles and integrity.

Maybe it's just your Department...

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:16:13

Silibilimili,I have my kids look online at the company,including the company photos.
I have also had one of them stand outside as the workers come out to see what they can gauge!

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 22:18:53

amillion, haha. You ate kidding right?

I need to be able to control my emotions. Show indifference. Show therefore that I am 'more rounded'.

How is that possible?

Anyone know any good management books?

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:18:56

Agree that companies can change as they go along.

How often were the 12 hour days for?
Just for a temporary situation?

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:19:53

Sili,I kid you not.
You can tell a lot by standing outside a company.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 22:24:14

Months on end a million.

Tell me, what do u look for when you stand out there.

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 22:35:01

Months on end for nothing on end is harsh.
Was that in your contract?
Did the financially reward you properly for that?

Standing outside.
a.what is the dress code,important if you end up having an interview there.
b.if you stand outside in the morning,do the workers arrive on time?
c.do they look happy do be there?
d.are they sloppily dressed.
e.what sort of people are they?
f.do their cars look like yours at all.
g.very importantly,do they look as if you will fit with them
h.if it is the evening,how do they look now?
i.even go into the building casualy for a brief look round.How does it feel.What is the receptionist like.
j.do you want to work on an industrial estate etc
k.what is the transport system like there

All this helps to give a glimpse of what the company is actually like and whether you think you may enjoy working there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now