To think that the British work is insidious

(132 Posts)
Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:40

And petty and full of cronies...

Just that.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:27:42

cat and dikker, we work in the same place.

What are you survival strategies?

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:28:17

wine and lots of it

Marshy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:30:31

A good manager recognises that everyone has something valuable to give and finds a way to enable them to give it. Poor management looks after friends. I have experienced both and like to think I am the former. Hard to know what you should do on so little information but please don't think there is anything wrong with being the shy one. An effective team has a mix of people, not all loud or all shy, but it takes a good manager to make the most of that team. Quiet and brilliant is fantastic!

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 21:31:39

I quit. I am a teacher now.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:31:46

I will soon become a chronic alcoholic.

What other strategies can I adapt? I am not a general arse licker. Don't want to sell my soul. What can I do to get ahead/noticed without ruffling feathers?

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 05-Oct-12 21:36:30

It has its disadvantages.

I'm working on something very difficult at the moment and keep getting distracted by people offering me biscuits and egg sandwiches.

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 21:37:02

Well, if you happen to be in the Civil Service, then you have to lick arse ...

It is not about doing the best job you can, it is not about being truthful, factual, integrity. It is about finding out what your superiors want and giving them that bending the information to suit their view even if totally incorrect.

And of course, always be very nice to your superiors and try not to be too nice to the people underneath you as this may be seen as weak.

You can earn a lot, a lot money this way plus a good pension, but it does involve selling your soul.

Not for me.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:37:05

Teaching won't pay me enough. I love what I do but for the lack of recognition. Just today saw a colleague (an utter twat) get promoted over me. I am better at everything. Except that I am not in the in crowd.

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 21:39:26

It is horrible, disheartening, I so understand why you mean.

Teaching is poorly paid and much harder work than people think. However, you can make a real difference to people's life. It can be very rewarding (but not financially).

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:39:30

dikkert, we work in the same place!

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Oct-12 21:41:41

Sometimes, if there is an opportunity you have to move upwards and outwards rather than staying in the same place for too long and getting stuck there. You can then move back in at a more senior level.

Sorry, can't be more precise because don't want to out myself.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:43:14

I can't do it. I end up getting into arguments with The boss.

Can't and won't sell my soul.

EverythingsNotRosie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:44:08

I think teaching is quite well paid these days (have just started my 9th year) but I am amused by the concept that it is free from all the things described in this thread. Come to my school and see the politics in action!

Marshy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:44:39

Doesn't teaching have any of these issues? The NHS certainly does
Survival strategies? Well, remember it's only work and make sure you have a life outside. If you can't change it, try to figure out if it's likely to change within a time frame you can cope with, maybe through restructuring - this happens in the NHS all the time, sometimes for the better in terms of the management environment and sometimes not. If not, plan an escape strategy to something better. Above all remember there is nothing intrinsically wrong with being the quiet brilliant one

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:45:43

I sold mine ages ago.

I do like the pace and dynamism of the private sector though. Public sector would kill me

But then again, working for my boss is likely to finish me off

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:45:58

Thanks dikker, that has helped. Do we know each other?!

joanofarchitrave Fri 05-Oct-12 21:47:19

'A good manager recognises that everyone has something valuable to give and finds a way to enable them to give it. '

Yes. yes.

I also think many managers forget to do the basic stuff; saying positive things; giving bad news face to face; all the simple good manners. They treat their employees as they would not treat even the most distant member of their family, and then wonder why relationships with and between the people they spend all day with are shite.

One woman in our team is an absolute workhorse; a colleague and teamworker par excellence (sorry, i believe in teamwork). But she doesn't take any shit, our manager is scared of her and now avoids giving her any positive feedback. She is going to walk out of our team on maternity leave, we are going to struggle so much without her, and she is not even going to look back sad

Marshy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:48:22

Exactly EvertytbingsNot! Public sector caring professions can be cut-throat and nasty! Sorry to disillusion anyone.

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:49:56

Yy public sector, crappy people getting promoted, and then when they're not surprisingly crappy n the new job, moved into another new job, until eventually a super fancy job is created with big money and no actual responsibilities so they can't do any more damage. Because you can't actually sack them, can you.

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:51:25

There is a book called Being An Arse At Work, or something. It's all about how to get on, and basically involves making your peers and everyone "below" you hate your guts.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:51:57

bry, exactly. The company worries too much about being sued by these incompetents.

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:52:03

And don't forget Common Purpose, the ulimate public sector / politico / journo clique

Marshy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:52:13

Joan - teamwork is great, I believe in it too, but it's hard work keeping a team together and lots of managers don't have the skills or the stomach for it

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:53:01

You have to stop being nice sillybilly. Be vile and get promoted.

Silibilimili Fri 05-Oct-12 21:53:14

bry, these guys don't need training in that. They can train people in this art. The ones they are not shafting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now