To ask why somepeople use the word mom on here?

(107 Posts)
Bubblemoon Wed 03-Oct-12 15:05:23

Mom?

squoosh Wed 03-Oct-12 15:47:40

I say Mum in an Irish accent. Inverted snobbery.

Live and let live.

scuzy Wed 03-Oct-12 15:48:18

people from Co Kerry do not say mom!

scuzy Wed 03-Oct-12 15:48:56

hate trying to find mother's day cards there is definately a niche market for cards that say Ma, Mam or mammy

squoosh Wed 03-Oct-12 15:54:09

In Tralee they say Mom all the time.

Alligatorpie Wed 03-Oct-12 16:03:44

Because that's what I call my mom and what my dd calls me.

I am not from the UK or the US.

OhChristFENTON Wed 03-Oct-12 16:06:45

I have a Mummy, but then I am vair posh.

mommybunny Wed 03-Oct-12 16:07:24

LOL scuzy, I'm always looking in March for cards that say "Mother" rather than "Mum" to send to mine in May!

Sorry bubblemoon, didn't mean to imply I took offence - but I do get a little sick at times of hearing all the moaning and whining (yes, I know I could have said "whingeing"! grin) at "Americanisms" that have been creeping into British speeach recently. (Though apparently there is an American university professor who's moaning about the same thing in reverse...)

FromEsme Wed 03-Oct-12 16:09:08

I say Mam but write Mum.

squoosh Wed 03-Oct-12 16:09:58

www.traleenurserysupplies.com/

Tralee based website with section called 'Just for Moms'

<smug face>

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:12:21

Oh lord, trying to find cards with mom on is a huuuuuuge bugbear of mine.

Here in Essex it is a thankless task to find even one with Mother on as a compromise. It makes my blood boil. Moonpig is my friend

CailinDana Wed 03-Oct-12 16:14:05

A lot of Irish people say "Mom" - I know I do.

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:15:25

I'm originally from the West Midlands and we all say Mom. I was confused when i moved down south and couldn't find a birthday card with Mom on and it was all Mum. I remember thinking in my naive state, who on earth calls their Mom, Mum

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 03-Oct-12 16:16:17

Mum- from this Yorkshire girl.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:18:59

I think I should start a West Midland Card company for all us frustrated M*o*msNetters wink

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:19:47

Damn that o didn't work [rage]

It's a conspiracy I tell you! A conspiracy

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:22:52

why is it different in the west midlands though? was it to do with industrial migration to america or something? i know my gran's dad, my great grandad, and his family went over to america to work, actually he was born there but never had an american nationality or anything (not like today you seewink) was that quite common? They were very poor, tbh we all were (mining stock)

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:27:11

We have lost of different words for stuff in the Black Country OwlLady

It is apparently the closest dialect to old English and many of the words we use sound Germanic or Dutch. I was once told that's because the Vikings never made it there because we don't have any major rivers but I'm not sure how true that is.

I ADORE the Black Country dialect. Sadly, there's a lot less of it about nowadays sad

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:28:01

god you ought to visit my Mother, she lives in Cannock. My children stand their open mouthed when people talk to one another

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:28:32

oiright my cock yaou oiright ay it bab

none of it makes sense grin

Where I live people say Mam not Mum and you can get Mam cards in most card shops (Card Factory, Clintons) so it surprises me that you can't get Mom cards in other areas!

Dogsmom Wed 03-Oct-12 16:37:47

I'm a Mom, (Lichfield, Staffordshire), round here the only people who have a Mum tend to have horses and range rovers too wink

rarebreed Wed 03-Oct-12 16:38:39

Another Black Country Mom here ay it.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:46:49

Ar bin ya OwlLady? grin

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:16

And Cannock isn't the Black Country btw <pedant>

OwlLady Wed 03-Oct-12 16:50:13

ahh i know it isn't the black country but it may as well be! but ask anyone and they are from staffordshire darling wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now