*Whispers* To enjoy the smell of my baby's farts?

(92 Posts)
DancesWithSockPuppets Tue 26-Jun-12 20:47:20

I can't be the only one, surely?

0blio Fri 22-Feb-13 20:17:13

I never licked my babies, but loved smelling them. Miriam Stoppard admitted in her baby book that she wanted to lick hers when they were newborn. It must be an instinctive thing.

My DDs always smelled lovely but for some reason, DS (BF) smelled of vinegar and I wasn't the only one to notice it.

DyeInTheEar Fri 22-Feb-13 20:08:40

DS3 is EBF and his nappies don't smell bad at all and are not that dissimilar to his burps - sort of sweet and chocolaty and totally lovely. Though DH says his nappies just smell of baby shit grin and claims to not know what I'm talking about.

Strangely though the farts are not nearly as pleasant.

I've never been tempted to lick any of mine but I can smell when they are about to come down with something.

Ameybee Fri 22-Feb-13 19:57:35

Ha ha... Hmm would love to say I don't.... But I so do! I also love the smell of the top of DS' head, I rub his hair with my nose! grin X

Sprite21 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:50:53

I have to agree on the wet morning nappy (smells a bit like butter popcorn), morning breath, and toes. All delicious.
Her poo often makes me wretch now though, and farts just smell like poo.
I have never licked her, though tempted...

BubaMarra Fri 22-Feb-13 19:30:20

I love everything about my babies.
I still check every poo of my younger child (15m). If it smells normal, everything is working properly. If it's not, there's something going on.
The same goes for their breath. If it's not neutral, or buttery as someone upthread mentioned, but strange, I know a virus is about to kick in. And it actually never fails.

LentilAsAnything Fri 22-Feb-13 19:28:25

My toddler smells utterly delicious, I could eat him. I have to make do with sniffing him. The inside of his ears is particularly lush. Yum. I nuzzle in and inhale with a hearty sniff until my lungs are full. Scrumptious.

chubbymomie2012 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:20:44

Are you a nurse??? I love the smell of my babies poo! I get such a thrill when they poo. It means everything is working properly. My Dp says its cos I'm a nurse. Lol.

RiffyWammal Fri 22-Feb-13 19:18:34

Oh yes, everything about my own babies was delectable and delicious; breast milk poo, farts, morning nappies (pineapple?), their lovely stinky heads and feet, their milky sweet breath...aah I wish they were little again just for a little while, so I could drink in their lovely smells one more time. Now they are pretty much grown men I don't enjoy their smells at all!

merlincat Fri 22-Feb-13 19:14:42

I've just asked my 15 yr old Ds if I could give him an experimental lick and he offered to punch me in the face. I suspect that the moment may have passed.

honeytea Fri 22-Feb-13 19:03:39

I used to love the smell of all newborn babies but since having my own I realise that newborn babies smell like period and now I don't like the smell of other babies so much.

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 22-Feb-13 16:56:44

Aw, I posted on this when DS was 4 months and I loved the smell of his wee. 8 months later he's a strapping one year old and I still like it blush

I also love when the smaller, daintier of our cats gets smelly paws. Cat sweat smells lovely. Bizarrely I once dreamed that I ate all of her paws (because they're bright pristine white and quite obviously made of marshmallow); luckily they grew back so it wasn't a problem.

wonderingsoul Fri 22-Feb-13 16:06:14

I like the smell if wet nappies... but only my own children. glad I'm not alone.

never heard the licking thing and the poop..nooo that's some how grosser then wee lol.

I have a theory that it stems back from caveman/monkey. genes. you like it as your child and helps bonding. .. or something along those lines.

when ds2 was born the first week. he was in scuba and couldn't be washed. took him home and couldn't stop smelling and kissing his full of hair head.. till I realised he had pooped him self in delivery..hadn'tb been bathed that I was just kissing poo...

so after a good bath he still smelt like new baby though.

they should really bottle that smell.

SarahJinx Fri 22-Feb-13 16:02:45

I lick DS, I come all over all primal and want to eat him up. I also like the smell of his poo, I could probably eat it, it wouldn't bother me a jot. He's 21 months.....

BubbyBum Fri 22-Feb-13 15:48:22

I recall reading somewhere that it is instinct to kiss your newborn immediately after birth as it somehow enables your body to know what antibodies you need to pass through your breastmilk. Maybe that's where the desire to lick your babies comes from? Just strong maternal instincts?

Thundercatz Fri 22-Feb-13 15:16:10

I'm pregnant with my first so can't comment re human baby yet but I love sniffing my cat baby's breath (fishy) and his little stinky feet (like cheesy feet) - they are just so cute!

honeytea Fri 22-Feb-13 13:37:37

I had never heard of baby licking either, it just feels right.

My babies breath smells like he is rotten inside poor baby, I wonder why that is?

BurnThisDiscoDown Fri 22-Feb-13 13:21:32

I lick DS's little forehead, not so much now he's 18 months and wriggly, but I get him when he's all sleepy. blush

bedmonster Fri 22-Feb-13 11:15:36

I have never in my life heard that people lick their babies! Most unexpected I must say!

CitrusyOne Thu 21-Feb-13 15:30:08

DD is 4 months and EBF. My farts smell just like her's- and it's that way round. Mine definitely smell of baby fart. Why is that?

midastouch Thu 21-Feb-13 15:26:01

OMG!!! really?? Eeuurrghhh!! This could well be the strangest AIBU ive read!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 21-Feb-13 15:21:56

Honeytea you didn't lick the puppy, did you......?

honeytea Thu 21-Feb-13 14:05:46

I am so glad I have found some other baby licking mummies! I like to lick ds (9 weeks) and DP thinks I am actaully crazy. If he sees me doing it I get a disaproving "did you just lick the baby again? You shouldn't do that you know" I feel I have to do it in secret.

I felt like DS was just like a puppy when he was first born, we call him valpen which means the puppy in DP's language.

I have wondered about bf baby poo, what would happen if I just drank expressed breastmilk for a day, would my poo smell like bf baby poo?

<crazy lady>

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 21-Feb-13 13:59:20

But I do still relish the smell of the tops of their heads, even though the older 2 have to be sitting down for me to reach. grin

Locketjuice Thu 21-Feb-13 13:56:32

Strange ones ....

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 21-Feb-13 13:55:28

YANBU If you like them, you like them.

I used to stare in wonderment at the beautiful colours of my kids' poo when they were first weaning. And if they have breast milk and veg it doesn't smell pooey anyway.

And their beautiful buttery breath - smelled like sunshine should smell to me.

It's different now they're teenagers though....oh yes siree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now