Struggling a bit this weekend

(42 Posts)
RudolphLovesoftplay Sun 06-Oct-13 12:15:00

Hi all, I am normally uber positive about my DC, but this weekend has being trying, to say the least.

I can't put my finger on why exactly it was so bad, but it started at 6:45 on Saturday morning when my DS was so hyper he was running about screaming. They won't stop fighting, and I've had to physically deprecate them at least 3 times.

I know a lot of it is just sibling behaviour, and I know how to solve it for next weekend, so I don't really know why I'm posting. I guess I've never felt like actually running away from them before this weekend, and it's shocked me to feel like this hmm

Sorry to hear it is difficult at moment Softplay. Wishing it will be better soon.

Has anything happened to cause this? I wonder, or maybe just something in the air, the last of the summer!

Thinking of you.

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 13:29:34

I've had a difficult summer with days like this. Just sometimes challenging behaviour hits when we're not emotionally able to deal with it... and yet we do - we just feel like shit afterwards!

Try and do something nice for yourself and start agin.

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 13:35:34

starting a gin would of course be nice! or you could start again!

RudolphLovesoftplay Sun 06-Oct-13 14:01:54

Thanks guys for your kind words. I have enrolled my oldest at Saturday football which is an early class. I think the issue maybe the lack of weekend structure after a week at school.

My youngest is soooo heavily influenced by the behaviour of his brother that I am hoping separating them a little may help him especially.

KristinaM Sun 06-Oct-13 14:02:49

Don't be shocked that you feel like running away. It's totally normal.

Just because we went through hell to adopt them doesn't mean we don't all fantasise about a nice peaceful weekend without them

I think I fancy the Maldives -what about you?

RudolphLovesoftplay Sun 06-Oct-13 14:10:06

I think I thought I would over this by now as they've been home for 2.5yrs. In hindsight, when they first came home I suffered a bit of post adoption depression, and even then I never felt like running away!!

I agree though, I'm not feeling anything different to what all of you have been through at some point, so I'm not for sectioning just yet smile

I think it would be Seychelles for me, just for a weekend mind wink

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 14:21:45

Ha ha haaa 2.5 yrs?! Amateur! We've been home/matched 7 years next month and this summer has (intermittently) been the worst we've had.

I'd murder for a weekend in the Seychelles.

Mind you we have had the best week this week in probably 3 months so am feeling smug right now.

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 14:22:56

I'm sure having moments or wanting to run away from your children must surely be a sign of a sane person. Why wouldn't you want to run away from a whirling dervish?! confused

KristinaM Sun 06-Oct-13 14:32:40

It's taken you 2.5 years to want to run away????? You must have the patience of a saint

Most of us have had lots of " oh my goodness what have I done " and " this isn't how I imagined it " moments in the first few MONTHS!

DH and I are running away on Monday grin
We lasted 18 years gringringrin

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 14:39:39

I have a night off next Saturday. DS is having a sleep over at his Nan's haven't had one in a couple of months and it feels odd. I'm already feeling a bit limbless!

RudolphLovesoftplay Sun 06-Oct-13 14:54:00

Within about 30mins I had a "what have I done moment" and the feeling lasted about 6months sadly, with little respite in between. But I never felt like actually up and leaving them, no.

I'm sure I will be ok tomorrow when I've had a good rant at DH sleep grin

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 15:18:53

Ah but the up and leaving them bit is a little like the reverse of the childrne play up most when they feel secure that you're not going to leave them. I wouldn;t have allowed myself to think about walking away in the early days because it was probably a bit too close to the bone to allow the idea to creep in.

Now its more of an exasperated, I need a break, kind of thing. And perfectly normal (IMVHO)

RudolphLovesoftplay Sun 06-Oct-13 15:22:55

Very wise words Kew smile

Lilka Sun 06-Oct-13 18:32:30

I fancy a nice little mountain village in the Alps personally....somewhere with a spa nearby where i can get a massage

2.5 years without wanting to run is a truly amazing achievement

I seem to average weekly, but daily at the moment.

Hmm, how about a Caribbean cruise...

KristinaM Sun 06-Oct-13 22:52:56

Ooh the alps sounds very nice. In the winter to ski or the summer to walk? Perhaps we could do both :-)

Though I'm tempted by the Seychelles with Rudolph and kew

Maryz Sun 06-Oct-13 22:58:59

I've been at this for 19 years.

I'm considering moving house and not telling them grin

Kewcumber Sun 06-Oct-13 23:02:26

Oh a cruise would be nice... a MN adoption cruise.

Maryz Sun 06-Oct-13 23:03:43

Without the kids, though Kew.

I couldn't do a cruise with the kids. When they were younger I had to tie ds2 to a thwart once because he wouldn't stop climbing. And now mine are old enough to drink and fall overboard.

Lilka Sun 06-Oct-13 23:15:58

Exactly, Alps is the perfect choice all year round! Seychelles sounds pretty good, but quite hot. But then, I'm not a heat person, I prefer cooller weather

I've always wanted to see Machu Pichu....

Lilka Sun 06-Oct-13 23:17:28

The idea of a cruise with DD2....don't know whether to laugh or cry grin

Lilka Sun 06-Oct-13 23:18:12

The ships crew would definitely choose 'cry'

Devora Mon 07-Oct-13 00:01:51

I fantasise, frequently, about a weekend away, completely by myself. It doesn't matter where - Croydon Novotel would do - because I'm not leaving the hotel (can't risk having to interact with anyone). I just need to be Completely Alone, somewhere with a comfortable bed (that I don't have to share) and room service.

I am salivating at the thought. It's been 8 years, I reckon I'm owed.

Kewcumber Mon 07-Oct-13 11:38:37

I remember crisp white sheets and room service. <<sigh>> I never appreciated it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now