Token present for my mum

(17 Posts)
Peopleplease Thu 24-Nov-16 11:11:03

My mum took me by surprise last week by saying she wasn't giving me a Christmas present and would give me cash in a card for my birthday (right after Christmas). Which is fair enough but she's still going to expect a present. (It's not a money issue - I help her manage her finances)

So I need something small for DD (who is 3) to give to her.

She's 74 and doesn't really have any interests.

Innermagic Thu 24-Nov-16 11:14:54

Afternoon tea? Many hotels/restaurants have good deals on and gift vouchers available. You and your daughter could go with her if she doesn't want to take a friend.

Peopleplease Thu 24-Nov-16 11:30:47

I want something physical to give her really. Nice idea though.

A scarf? Is there an author she likes - could you get her a book? If she watches a particular series on TV, there may be a book that goes with the series - like Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey, or DrTurner's Casebook (Call the Midwife). Or some really posh biscuits or chocolates, maybe.

stealtheatingtunnocks Thu 24-Nov-16 11:59:37

get DD to make her something. Go to a place to decorate a mug, get her to draw a portrait of granny and frame it, bake some shortbread and put it in a pretty tin. Photo of them together. Photo book or calendar of pics of the wee one. Have a search on here, there'll be loads of threads.

homeaway Thu 24-Nov-16 12:04:06

Photobox have great ideas of things that you can get printed. I did mugs for my parents last year .

Greenfingeredfun Thu 24-Nov-16 16:23:16

What would you normall give to her?

KC225 Thu 24-Nov-16 16:27:51

Silk pillowcase, Amazon. Lilysilk. I read about them on here and I am getting my elderly mum one

winterisnigh Thu 24-Nov-16 16:28:49

what would you normally giver her, why cant she you a present, has this upset you?

Greenfingeredfun Thu 24-Nov-16 16:30:09

That's what I wondered winter..

llangennith Thu 24-Nov-16 16:47:14

My favourite present each year (birthday a week before Christmas ) is a Photobox calendar my DD does with photos of me, her, the grandchildren. I love it.

daisydalrymple Thu 24-Nov-16 16:54:42

My mum is 72. Said she doesn't want 'stuff' anymore, but she'd welcome her olay moisturiser, fave toiletries she uses, needs new pyjamas... she gets gift sets and trinket gifts she never uses off friends / cousin/aunty family members. Ends up giving them away. Mum is watching her money carefully now, so just welcomes stuff she needs and will use.

verystressedmum Thu 24-Nov-16 16:55:42

Are you annoyed that you're not getting a Christmas present? It sounds like she's planning to give you a joint birthday and Christmas present, and it also it sounds like you're a bit miffed that you have to get her a Christmas present.
What do you normally get her?

KC225 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:05:05

Silk pillowcase. Read on here that it is good for sleep, wrinkles and bed hair. 13.00 by Lilysilk from amazon. Apparently comes in a gift box

goose1964 Thu 24-Nov-16 21:37:36

primark fleecy PJs I live in mine if not going ot

throwingpebbles Thu 24-Nov-16 23:01:26

Christmas decorations of some sort? Baubles/ a hanging decoration/ wreath or similar

FrancisCrawford Thu 24-Nov-16 23:04:18

My late DM loved a photo calendar I made her.

Also loved getting an amaryllis bulb to plant and watch it grow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now