pressies for a new mum

(29 Posts)
BristolLFR Sun 18-Sep-16 13:18:42

I'm due my first baby just before Christmas and want to know what's useful/ nice to put on my Christmas list

(We're a list family, we hate gimmicky stuff or the idea of an unused gift)

Thinking specifically for me, rather than new baby gifts.

So far suggestions have been:
A kindle
Netflix/ box set
Cosy button down pj's so I can stay warm while BFing at night
Nice warm gloves for when pushing the pram
Thermos flask to take tea to bed for night feeds

Theme is definitely staying warm and cosy it appears!

Any other ideas? Thinking actual "things" rather than offers of tidying the house/ cooking food as everyone is long distance

Thanks

OutOfAces Sun 18-Sep-16 19:05:38

Ok this might sound shit but honestly all I wanted after DS was born was vouchers for my favourite clothes shops (especially as you'll have the January sales!)

I was sick of my limited maternity wardrobe, which didn't fit/hang right anymore and still couldn't fit into all my pre-pregnancy clothes.

Kindle/Netflix are great ideas.

Best gift I was given was a travel mug and buggy cup holder so I can take a brew out with me on walks.

Also a portable phone charger so I could read the news/check emails/research baby development Mumsnet during night feeds without having to worry about battery or plugging my phone in.

Partybugs Sun 18-Sep-16 19:07:25

Someone shared a fab idea.. 3-4 of those Christmas magazines and a Christmas mug with some hot chocolate/decaf latte sachets in.

Xenadog Sun 18-Sep-16 19:09:13

Really good hand cream. You will be washing your hands so often it's an essential. Worth splashing out.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 18-Sep-16 19:15:28

Yes to handcream, some really nice handwash/soap too.
Snuggly slippers with grippy soles
Warm but not full length dressing gown (it's easy to step on the front of a long one when you are carrying a baby upstairs.

imsorryiasked Sun 18-Sep-16 19:22:14

A nice soft blanket for snuggling under when feeding.

BristolLFR Sun 18-Sep-16 19:34:07

Ooh some fab ideas, thank you!

YesILikeItToo Sun 18-Sep-16 19:40:15

Some cheap jewellery in lightweight materials. It never feels great wearing anything delicate round your neck with a baby grabbing for it, equally heavy pendants feel like they will bonk them on the head.

dillyduck Sun 18-Sep-16 19:48:58

Sanitary towels (I take every new mum sanitary towels as they have never bought enough)

woodwaj Sun 18-Sep-16 21:07:29

I agree with vouchers for clothes, handcream (and sanitary towels) a voucher for your hairdressers maybe?

Some smellys to mask the lovely smell of baby puke and poop?

Congratulations grin

Yika Sun 18-Sep-16 21:12:14

I second the handcream, you'll need industrial quantities. That's funny about the sanitary towels - can you imagine unwrapping them under the Christmas tree? grin

woodwaj Sun 18-Sep-16 22:29:31

I think these are a great idea

teething necklace

ridingsixwhitehorses Sun 18-Sep-16 23:37:19

Depending on your taste I like those photo frames that have space for one pic a month for each of the first 12 months of the baby's life. But tbh everyone will buy the baby so many present you probably want something for yourself... something luxurious that will remind you that you are a person as well as a feeding machine.

Or something that will help you when in the middle of the night feeding - e.g. a kindle, or headphones so you can listed to podcasts.

cravingcake Mon 19-Sep-16 17:12:17

A voucher for a spa day to use one day next year (ideally with a friend).

A really nice bottle of wine (or whatever your favourite drink is) because although you probably won't drink much it's really nice to have your favourite when you do fancy a glass of wine or a baileys after dinner.

Vouchers for clothes or a good raincoat (with a hood).

cravingcake Mon 19-Sep-16 17:13:51

One thing I did for my DH was get him a bottle of whiskey from newborn DS with a poem about storing it safe and to open on DS 18th birthday to have a drink together.

0utForAWalkBitch Tue 20-Sep-16 19:03:55

Second teething necklace. I really like the ones from here as they use materials other than just silicone and some of them could pass as normal jewellery. You won't be wearing your good jewellery for a while...!

BristolLFR Tue 20-Sep-16 21:09:28

A good bottle of red (and a mountain of cheese) is definitely on the list!

I'd never heard of a teething necklace, thanks for the tip

Hufflepuffin Tue 20-Sep-16 21:14:08

Contigo travel mug will do for night time tea and buggy walk hot drinks. Clothing vouchers is a great one.

Big ticket items - babywearing coat if that's your kind of thing (one that does back carries like this www.closertoyou.co.uk/store/p46/Momawo_4-in-1_Winter_Coat.html)
Cordless Dyson.

0utForAWalkBitch Tue 20-Sep-16 21:16:51

Ooh yes a hot drink holder for buggy and a resealable cup! And babywearing coat is a great idea too!

0utForAWalkBitch Tue 20-Sep-16 21:17:47

And a cordless dyson - truly inspired! (No sarcasm I really mean it! I'd kills for one)

Honestly? Whatever you like now. I got to the point where I felt like I'd lost my identity a bit because for my first Christmas when my DS 1 was 3 weeks old I had lots of stuff "useful for a new mum" and it was like everyone forgot what I might actually like.

ridingsixwhitehorses Tue 20-Sep-16 23:42:10

Actually I agree with PotteringAlong

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 21-Sep-16 09:53:45

I was the other way round, totally not interested in things for me unless they were baby related.

BristolLFR Wed 21-Sep-16 12:58:53

Not sure I'd know what I wanted if I wasn't preg to be honest. Usually decent pieces for my wardrobe, but given I won't know what size I'll be and will hopefully be slinking down a bit, I don't want to invest in decent stuff that early. Vouchers for transition clothing is s good idea though, I'm bored of all this jersey already!

wheatchief Wed 21-Sep-16 13:13:49

Can I be cheeky and piggyback off this thread? Tell me to fuck off if not! A friend is due her second shortly, her first is coming up to 2 and I was wondering about buying a family membership to the zoo or something, so she has somewhere to take them both without having to fork out all the time (she has been to the zoo with DS and had a good time). She lives in outer London. Is that a shit idea? Will she struggle to get out with the two of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now