Can't find an elf!

(17 Posts)
DrinkFromSantasFountain Sun 01-Dec-13 21:54:32

I wanted to do elf on a shelf for ds (2.5) I can't possibly afford the proper elf and book so I was looking for a cheap elf doll, I've been looking for ages and I can't get one and now it's getting far too late!
I really wanted to do it for him as we've had a pretty shit year and it is the first year he's really understood and got excited about Christmas.

I feel like an utter failure.

(I've had a very bad day and a bit hormonal and sensitive)

Has anyone seen an elf doll on their travels? Preferably under £4-£5 ?

Ifcatshadthumbs Sun 01-Dec-13 22:01:20

IKEA have them I got one last week. Pretty cheap (am sure it was less than £5)

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sun 01-Dec-13 22:01:43

Was just about to say Ikea, they are 4 pounds in there.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sun 01-Dec-13 22:02:42

Please dont feel like a failiure! There is lots more to come! its just an additional extra and your ds is still young enough to enjoy it for many years to come. smile

AngryBuddha Sun 01-Dec-13 22:04:29

Elf
I think I will get one of these. tchsmile

PiperChapman Sun 01-Dec-13 22:04:34

trust me - he won't have a full understanding at age 2.

why do you feel a failure for not providing a doll?!

ViviDeHohohoVoir Sun 01-Dec-13 22:04:35

I've just picked up three little Christmassy people: one girl and two boys and am leaving them with an introduction note for each DC. They'll love them and it doesn't matter that they're not 'proper' Elves as children don't worry about that sort of stuff as much as we do.

Be kind to yourself.

lucysmam Sun 01-Dec-13 22:04:57

I tried making an elf from a pound shop barbie...it didn't go well tchsad....seem to recall someone saying on another thread that Card Factory had some but haven't looked in there yet, might be worth a look? smile

Ifcatshadthumbs Sun 01-Dec-13 22:06:10

Agree that an 'elf' can look like any christmassy type figure doesn't have to be an actuall elf.

VesuviusPoovius Sun 01-Dec-13 22:12:38

TKMaxx, Ikea, Ebay.

BrianButterfield Sun 01-Dec-13 22:18:44

I got one for £3.99 from a Hallmark outlet shop. DS is 2 and certainly does understand the concept!

Imagination tree has a lovely post up about kindness elves. Anna points out that any animal toy or doll can stand in
Sorry, not sure how to link to imaginationtree.com on my phone

DrinkFromSantasFountain Sun 01-Dec-13 22:55:18

I'm having a crap day so the bloody elf is the straw that broke the camels back.
The Ikea one would be perfect if there was a closer ikea to me, I can't justify driving 40 miles for a toy. and candles, meatballs, other random stuff the swedes think we should buy
I'll have another look round tomorrow, hopefully I'll get to card factory etc.

DrinkFromSantasFountain Mon 02-Dec-13 16:15:51

I've got one!
Dh went to card factory and got one for 99p it's going to "arrive" with the decorations tonight while ds is asleep.

I will stop with the hormone and Christmas induced hysterics now. unless Dh carries on being a twunt

christmasmum Mon 02-Dec-13 16:20:26

I don't like the elves so we have a toy reindeer teddy that comes to visit us instead. It cost about £3...

lucysmam Mon 02-Dec-13 16:39:45

I totally forgot to go back and look!! Will go back tomorrow (armed with a list full of stuff I forgot about today confused )

DrinkFromSantasFountain Mon 02-Dec-13 19:30:18

The ones from card factory are really cute and not at all creepy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now