I need to make a Statement Cake for Family gathering?

(32 Posts)
Shosha1 Sun 10-Nov-13 19:02:58

Im a good baker, but need inspiration.

For the first time in about 20 years extended family (as in my aunts and uncles) are coming for afternoon tea at my house, to see DF who we almost lost with a stroke this year.

Now I know they are going to expect WOW cakes, as my DM always did them (with seemingly no effort)

I would love to do one.

I often do a really fancy cheesecake, but it is very very rich, and the average age of my guests is 80 smile so might be a bit much

I thought I had found one but again terribly rich, I need something stunning to look at, but not too rich.

There will be French Fancies, tea cake and such as well.

SicknSpan Mon 11-Nov-13 10:41:12

Moose - the chocolate one simply substitutes cocoa powder (not hot choc powder) for some of the flour. Manages to come out ever so slightly gooey and ultra moist in the middle - mmmmmm!

Alwayscheerful Mon 11-Nov-13 10:50:18

You could do a huge baileys cheesecake topped with thorntons continental chocolates. Do it in a square or rectangular oven tray rather than a round one but you already have some lovely cake suggestions.

Anyone know where to buy chocolate cigarillos without paying an absolute fortune?

Darkesteyes Mon 11-Nov-13 18:26:12

The December issue of Good Housekeeping has loads of recipes for christmas cakes in it as well as alternative christmas cakes including the recipe for Nigellas chocolate yule log. She sticks little sugar mushrooms on top of it as well.
There is also a free recipe booklet with the mag.

Shosha1 Sat 16-Nov-13 18:54:11

I did a test run of a Bundt Cake today using this recipe

OMFG it is to die for!!!!!

QueenofallIsee Sat 16-Nov-13 19:02:07

pannetonne..lush

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 17-Nov-13 20:17:28

Thanks for that link Shosha1 just waiting for my NW pan to arrive ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now