do you buy anything for your husband/bf

(41 Posts)
princesscupcakemummyb Sat 02-Nov-13 16:44:11

hi all so as the title says really for xmas do you buy for your husband/partner if so is it a small present or just get what ever you know they like reason i ask is cause in my house me and dh dont allways buy for each other at xmas as we see its for the kids mainly if we do its nothing spectacular its usually a small token gift just wondered if its just us who does this? thanks all smile

Yes of course but this year we are just buying each other a token gift as we are broke.

PIL are wealthy and generous and have offered to buy us a weekwnd away including babysitting and dog minding. I feel very lucky. We normally would spend the same on each other as we do on each DC.

Oh yes. I love buying for DP. Why should I not? Christmas is not just about children, it's for everyone. I like to spoil DP with things he might not otherwise get and he feels the same about me. I know he appreciates it just as I do.

CrotchStitch Sat 02-Nov-13 22:46:33

Yes, but we buy very little throughout the year, only the bare essentials that we really need, even to some extent for DS (9) <small violin>
TBH it works well as, for example, DH likes Barbour shirts. I cannot justify £60+ during the year so at Christmas it feels like a real treat. We use the money we don't spend during he year so are not in debt over it, Christmas is really special and we get exactly what we want.
This year he will have a new Barbour shirt (predictably) a subscription to a vastly expensive shooting magazine that he enjoys, a pair of posh Joules socks, a knife sharpener, a cookbook, wild flower grenades and a couple of smaller nik naks.
I am hinting heavily for a new pair of North Face boots, a handmade flat cap (he WILL buy me this as I wear his and his head gets cold grin) and a GBBO book (which I know I've got as I ordered it grin)

chanie44 Sun 03-Nov-13 07:13:43

For us, it's more important to get for the children, but we do stockings for each other.

I buy small things throughout the year for OH, and get bargains to make my money go further.

I get stuff like ear phones, pants, chocolate,hand cream, playing cards, small bottle of beer, DIY tools, aftershave.

noviceoftheday Sun 03-Nov-13 07:49:22

Oh yes! As much effort goes into dh's presents as for the dcs. And he really goes all out at Xmas too. Then again, I also buy for our parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, close friends, children of close friends and a couple of my neighbours. I think dh would be offended if he didn't get anything in those circumstances.grin

hulahoopsilove Sun 03-Nov-13 08:15:45

Yes we do not as extravagant as before Dc we also take DS out separately and he picks a gift to give to us each.

This year DH and I have decided we'd like an ipad so we are going halfs each and this will be out gift to each other as well as the gift that DS will give us.

Yes, but we both struggle to find things some years, as there just isn't really anything we want or need very much. I'm very hard to buy for to be honest, I much prefer buying for myself than getting surprises. And our house is small and we struggle for space, so really don't want more stuff most of the time.

I do take the DCs (7 and 9) out Christmas shopping, they buy for us, each other and the grandparents, and are surprisingly good at choosing.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 03-Nov-13 08:44:40

yes. he's not very good at spending on himself, so I think it's nice for him to have something just for him. we usually exchange a few presents. most often one is something like perfume or gig tickets, and then a few boring essentials like work shirts and slippers.

BadPoet Sun 03-Nov-13 09:00:40

It depends how skint we are but always something. We have never been big spenders on each other at Christmas and frequently set e.g £10/ £20 limit which we will be doing again this year as we just did loads of work to our house and bought a new TV.

We buy for each other and help ds to chose each other a present. We don't go mad as we tend to buy the things we need/ want when we need/ want them but as ds is an only child I think it's important that he sees that Christmas is not all about him!

toffeelolly Sun 03-Nov-13 14:14:54

We are not buying each other this year as we decided to book a week long trip to Vegas, we head off beginning of Feb cannot wait lolsmile

Sort of-

I order from M&S or QVC for me
DH orders from Amazon or Ebay for him

It's paid out of the joint account so evens out.

ZombieMojaveWonderer Sun 03-Nov-13 16:45:47

I have preordered a PS4 and some games so that's my husbands present (joint present really) although he will be getting it before Christmas obviously because I couldn't keep it from myself him wink

My dh is the other half of me. We are married for reasons very far outside our (adorable wonderful) fecking children.

Why in gods sweet Xmas would I not buy something for the most important friend I have? For my lover? For my partner in crime?

lade Sun 03-Nov-13 16:50:20

Yes. Everyone in our house gets 5 presents under the tree + a joke present. Adults are no exception grin. I buy for DH, he buys for me.

We tend not to buy gifts that are as expensive as those we buy the DDs. Tends to be things like new CDs / DVDs / books / some clothing - shirt, jeans etc.

This year, we have a bit more cash so said we might even get each other small, joke stockings too.

I love Christmas, and have no intention of missing out grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now