Christmas ale?

(17 Posts)
trilottie Tue 11-Dec-12 22:21:36

(Sorry, no idea how to get links working on phone)

trilottie Tue 11-Dec-12 22:20:56

A rundown of some ideas here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/dec/11/beers-for-a-merry-christmas

pacificjade Tue 11-Dec-12 22:14:19

Loads of breweries in Sussex. Check out the local CAMRA site
www.aaa-camra.org.uk/breweries/brewers.html for details.

Ring the breweries that are close to you or of interest & they can tell you where they'll sell their bottles. Far more interesting than supermarket ranges smile

iheartdusty Tue 11-Dec-12 22:03:52

these all do sound so nice. I'm just going to have to do a trawl this weekend. Thanks everyone.

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Tue 11-Dec-12 12:18:52

Bateman's Rosy Nosey is DH's favourite!

Takver Mon 10-Dec-12 22:40:57

If you're in Sussex then it has to be Harvey's Christmas Ale! They definitely sell it in bottles and it is lovely.

iheartdusty Mon 10-Dec-12 22:36:34

Thanks all, very useful.

Bedmonster, not at all pointless - I'm in Sussex, home of Harvey's and dark star and many others, but I just can't find them in bottles or anything suitable for a gift. Not really up for a half barrel or keg or whatever they are called.

I like the sound of chocolate porter, so M&S next stop it is.

bedmonster Mon 10-Dec-12 22:29:10

Do you have a garden centre nearby? The one near me sells ale from the local brewery. Although I suppose you also need a local brewery. In which case, you probably wouldn't need any of our help.

<most pointless comment on any thread award goes to...... bedmonster>

Goneshopping Mon 10-Dec-12 22:21:15

Dp loves his ale and has selected the Marlow brewery rebellion red for Xmas day! Sold in Waitrose.

SnowMuchToBits Mon 10-Dec-12 22:18:57

What's wrong with Shepherd Neame? I haven't tried their Christmas Ale, but their Late Red (autumn beer) is lovely.

LegArmpits Mon 10-Dec-12 22:13:04

IF you can get hold of any Durham Brewery stuff (depends where you are, else it would be online) then get their Temptation. It is the stuff dreams and Christmas puddings are made of.

If not, and you really only have standard Supermarket stuff to choose from, then M&S believe it or not have a good range of beer, the Chocolate Porter from Unicorn Brewery is bloody gorgeous, as is their Belgian Wheat. They also do a Winter Ale which is good.

Avoid Shepherd Neame stuff.

you wouldn't find me reviewing real ale on YouTube, obv

SnowMuchToBits Mon 10-Dec-12 22:12:45

Which area of the country are you in? Sometimes you can get nice local ale at a local offie....

iheartdusty Mon 10-Dec-12 22:09:23

Ooh, that looks interesting, thanks

oldraver Mon 10-Dec-12 22:05:28

Wychwoods bah humbug is nice

iheartdusty Mon 10-Dec-12 21:59:55

Thanks, will have a look

NatashaBee Mon 10-Dec-12 21:24:40

Youngs is usually good, bit mainstream though! Theakstons did a really good one last year but i think that was only available on draft.

iheartdusty Mon 10-Dec-12 21:19:00

Any nice suggestions for a real ale fan please, I have small to medium branches of most supermarkets reasonably accessible plus majestic, various other off licences. Not keen on online because delivery charges are usually so high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now