Presents for your Dad

(33 Posts)
Chewbecca Sun 09-Dec-12 17:04:02

Any ideas welcomed please!

He doesn't like to receive gifts at all really so sometimes gets a bar of chocolate! He really dislikes clothes sothat's a compete no go area.
He reads but prefers to get books from the library.
He does play golf and sometimes golfing accessories go down ok.

Leafmould Sun 09-Dec-12 20:59:25

A brew your own beer kit.

Happiestinwellybobs Sun 09-Dec-12 21:00:45

Nationl Trust membership & golfing book (Tom Watson) for my dad who sounds similar to yours !

reastie Mon 10-Dec-12 07:33:56

Oh, just remembered. My Dad got an Alfred Hitchcock DVD box set a few years ago which he really enjoyed. Also, I've got him love film voucher/membership in the past which also went down really well. If you have a cineworld near you they have this voucher which would be a good gift.

CelticPromise Mon 10-Dec-12 09:40:18

Does he garden? Mine is getting a lemon tree this year.

Chewbecca Mon 10-Dec-12 18:09:16

Well I have made a teensy bit of progress and ordered a Tom Watson (who?!) golf book thanks to happiestinwellybobs. And threw a golf glove in whilst I was there.
He does already have National Trust membership actually, him and DM take DS to their properties too sometimes, it seems to have been a good buy so whilst I can't get this, I would recommend to others with the same dilemma.
Films are also a no no, as are DvD box sets, they don't own a DVD player or go to the cinema (through choice I might add!). Kindle been suggested and (politely) declined!
It is hard!
Still, made a start now, still thinking of adding the old chocolate bar and scratch cards, that might have to do!
Very interesting to hear all your gifts.

reastie Tue 11-Dec-12 07:39:07

I know it's too late for OP, but someone might find this useful. I recently found out about the Historic Houses Association - you can buy membership for a year for a bit less than NT membership and it gives free access to many privately owned gardens/houses across the country. It's like NT but for non NT/EH properties IYKWIM. DH and I are doing this this year for each other.

Hobbitation Tue 11-Dec-12 11:05:11

DH gets FIL presents and usually MIL too - though this year I saw something nice for MIL ages ago and got it myself. My dad does like clothes (within quite a few colour and style restrictions) so I've got him a machine washable lambswool jumper and a box of Belgian chocs. Does he drink? How about a nice bottle of Highland Park malt whisky? A flask to put it in for the golf course?

My mum was admiring my onesie so I have got her a Tatty Teddy one from M&S. Also I have a framed school photo of DDs for her.

gingemum Tue 11-Dec-12 11:35:02

What about one of these to read with grandchild? My grandad...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now