What's the oddest thing DC have asked for, and did they get it?

(268 Posts)
hurricanewyn Sat 01-Dec-12 11:42:40

Years ago DS asked for a yellow suit. Was v young & couldn't describe it but wanted it for months.
I bought him some thermal longjohns & a vest & dyed them bright yellow with dylon along with a pillow case that I attached as a cape. I got some red felt and cut it into his initial & attached it to the front with wonderweb.
He was delighted with it on Christmas morning & then never wore it confused
DD has asked for a diamond maker this year - I've told her if she manages to get one I'd quite like a few diamonds myself.

melika Sat 01-Dec-12 12:51:31

DS2 wants a £900 cricket bat, it's a bargain reduced to £300!

Do you think he has a cats chance?

hurricanewyn Sat 01-Dec-12 12:52:41

Maryz - you're all Christmassy!

BitOutOfPractice Sat 01-Dec-12 12:54:53

My DD2 asked for an umbrella hat last year. That was all.

She got one and has worn it quite a few times. She gets lots of comments, many from moms pushing buggies and wrangling toddlers in the rain who are envious! grin

Dd2 is 4 and has wanted a real unicorn for last Christmas and this ..... Think she's going to be disappointed again. Keep telling her that we don't have room for a unicorn stable but she thinks it will be able to sleep in her bed. Have bought her a small toy unicorn instead....

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 01-Dec-12 12:59:17

Ds aged 7 has asked for a baby brother or sister, we are expecting one but he doesn't know yet, hopefully my 12 week scan will be just after Xmas so he won't know on the day but he will be excited when he finds out!

exmrs Sat 01-Dec-12 12:59:52

My son wants a piece of string for xmas. he loves tying knots and tying door handles and setting traps with pieces of string. im going to find the biggest ball of string i can for him

ZumbaZara Sat 01-Dec-12 12:59:54

My DD asked for a piece of string and a plastic ring.

chippy what's is it about blu tack? My two along with the rest of the school seem to be collecting bits of it all the time. I'm amazed anything stays on the school walls. Might have to pinch your stocking idea....

Melpomene Sat 01-Dec-12 13:04:26

My dd's (7) wishlist included:

flour
eggs
butter
sugar
a cooker

She wants to make cakes. I did point out that we already have a cooker, but she said she would like her own cooker so she can bake cakes in her bedroom.

She is getting some recipe cards and some patterned cupcake cases in her stocking!

ChippyMinton Sat 01-Dec-12 13:05:17

smile
I've just helped DD tidy her room and have picked blutack out of the carpet, snipped it off soft toys...grrr.

One year I bought white tack for a change - there was uproar!

DS1 also wanted rubber bands one year, and I found a ball of them in the stationers, he was over the moon with it.

guanosoup Sat 01-Dec-12 13:25:59

When dd was three, she asked for xmas dinner and snow. The dinner was easy to sort, but I was doubtful about providing the snow.
Thankfully we went to north wales that year, and as we were opening our presents, the heavens opened, giving us for inches of snow that dd and her cousins played in as we made lunch.
It was magical grin

NorbertDentressangle Sat 01-Dec-12 13:26:35

Chippy -DD had a thing for Blutack one year too. She had some in her stocking along with a sellotape dispenser. She was in seventh heaven!

Melpomene -whatever you do don't be tempted to buy one of those childrens cookers that claim to "really cook!". They use the power of a lightbulb, the cake is hidden under a foil box to 'cook' so they can't even watch it 'cook' and it takes about 2 hours to make 1 tiny, weeny, fairy cake.

Kirk1 Sat 01-Dec-12 13:27:54

My DD wanted a unicorn. A real unicorn.

I bought her a toy unicorn and manufactured a "Magic Pot" of unicorn food (I think it was a small plastic lid filled with tissue paper that had been liberally dipped in pva glue and glitter. With an "instruction" stcker on the underside.) I think she was satisfied with it!

Millie2013 Sat 01-Dec-12 13:29:41

Melpomene - cupcake maker? Probably not a good idea to use it in a bedroom, but could be "hers"

Friend's daughter asked for a garden gnome last year. The only place she could find one at this time of year was poundland.

MaryChristmaZEverybody Sat 01-Dec-12 13:37:02

It's December hurricant wink

Indith Sat 01-Dec-12 13:38:52

Kirk my dd wants a baby unicorn this year (as well as a monster that is bigger than her). I picked up a second hand my little pony unicorn so fingers crossed!

Fabuloo Sat 01-Dec-12 13:49:02

Just got back from Santa's Grotto and DS (4) has just asked Father Christmas for a star, he asked what kind of star and DS replied "one from the sky"......

OrangeLily Sat 01-Dec-12 13:50:43

My sister wanted a certain tv character bear when she was about 5. This as hunted for high and low for a good few months and nothing was found by any of the family. My parents were a bit gutted that they couldn't fulfil this one wish.

On Christmas Eve evening me and DH popped to Asda for something small and happened to pass the bit at the end of the aisle for reductions (stuff about to go in the bin) and for 99p there was one bear of a perfect size in pristine condition.

smile A little bit of Christmas magic smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 01-Dec-12 13:57:26

When ds2 was 2.6 he asked for pink slippers and a snowball.

Santa brought both grin, ds2 was delighted grin

MaryChristmaZEverybody Sat 01-Dec-12 14:02:57

Fabuloo, get him some of those luminous stars that go on the ceiling. They are great, and you could even put them up while he is asleep (and shine a torch on them, so that they are glowing when he wakes up).

The plastic ones are better than the stickers, but put them up with bluetac instead of the crappy stuff they come with which doesn't stick to the stars, but sticks to the ceiling for ever [bitter].

SummerRain Sat 01-Dec-12 14:03:03

Fabulo, there are soft toys that you can buy that have a special code that you enter online and get to name a star. Ds2 got the owl one year and it's still his second favourite cuddly (nothing could replace Rabbit!). The label says 'Shining Stars'

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 01-Dec-12 14:07:56

Dd1 once asked for Cillit Bang. She had the notion that you just spray it in your room and magically your room becomes clean and tidy or as she would would put it "You just go BANG! and the dirt is gone" grin

DD 3.5yo has asked Santa for a purple towel. I have just remembered about this, best get online and get ordering.

CheeseStrawWars Sat 01-Dec-12 14:15:33

Diamond maker? Aimed at 10 year olds but with supervision...?

bruffin Sat 01-Dec-12 14:15:33

DS asked Santa to take a photograph of himself on his camera that he left out.
Santa was very helpful and on christmas morning there was a photo a santa with his ID card and a picture of the reindeers and sleigh in our garden on DS camera wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now