Has anyone bought an American Girl doll from the US?

(86 Posts)
perceptionreality Wed 14-Nov-12 13:12:43

I'm just wondering how much it all costs once you've paid taxes etc.

Growlithe Sat 05-Oct-13 19:58:46

Thanks for this. I managed to talk her out of it but have read her your comments and she's pondering again now, and so am I because I do think they look really lovely, and DD collects things rather than plays with them IYSWIM.

Did anyone see Dragon's Den with the pair who were trying to get a British version off the ground? I thought they'd missed a trick as they wanted to sell them in other stores, rather than create their own boutique which is how AGs work in the US.

perceptionreality Sun 06-Oct-13 13:47:29

There is a brand in the UK called 'My London Girl' and they have I think two boutique shops and make clothes for dolls and their owners but I don't think they are as nice as AG dolls. Was it those people on Dragon's Den?

One thing about AG stuff is that it seems to retain its value very well on ebay.

Growlithe Sun 06-Oct-13 13:52:32

No they were called My Lookalike and were based in Scotland. We had a look on their website but DD thought the dolls looked a bit 'freaky'. grin

perceptionreality Sun 06-Oct-13 13:59:39

Ah yes, just found the website. I don't think they look at good quality as AG but they seem to have the same face mould.

Growlithe Sun 06-Oct-13 18:26:40

I think DD was put off because the website seems to be driven round getting a doll that looks like you, and the one it suggested for her didn't look like her! She wasn't overstruck on the clothes either.

Elsiequadrille Sun 06-Oct-13 18:38:46

I don't think the London dolls are nearly as nice. Though they're a lot cheaper than AG at £99.

perceptionreality Mon 07-Oct-13 00:30:28

London Girl dolls are £79 and American Girl $110, which works out as £68ish but it's when you add shipping and taxes that bumps the price of AG up.

perceptionreality Mon 07-Oct-13 00:31:15

If you live in America an AG doll isn't much more expensive than Baby Annabelle etc.

Elsiequadrille Mon 07-Oct-13 00:31:59

They're £150 in the (only) UK shop. There isn't much of a saving having one shipped.

Elsiequadrille Mon 07-Oct-13 00:45:53

I think we were quoted shipping costs of approx £40, not including tax

Growlithe Mon 07-Oct-13 00:55:18

The annoying thing is we went to Florida at Easter when she was really desperate for one, and we are going back next year, but they haven't got store there. Wonder if we could get one delivered to the hotel - if they are Baby Annabelle prices could be worth looking into.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now