New to Woolly hugs - crochet inspiration needed, please

(9 Posts)
Grockle Sat 19-Oct-13 20:07:24

Hello,

My lovely wool arrived today & I was all excited but I'm now feeling overwhelmed! I've spent ages on Ravelry & Pinterest but could do with a simple pattern to follow to get me started - using a 4mm hook. Unless someone can tell me roughly how many to chain to get me started. I've tried several times but my brain is addled & I'm disappointed that I've not yet got a pile of beautiful squares that I've made.

<pathetic>

blush

Try looking on YouTube for crochet tutorials - that's how I learned to crochet a basic granny square - and from there, I went back to the written granny square pattern! and knowing how to do it meant I could work back from that to understand following the pattern.

Once I did that, I found it was much easier to follow other patterns.

AnyaKnowIt Sat 19-Oct-13 22:21:33

Is it a granny square blanket that you want?

Can you crochet or just started learning?

AnyaKnowIt Sat 19-Oct-13 22:23:23
Grockle Sun 20-Oct-13 01:26:19

I can crochet (but in American), I just can't work out how to make a 6" square using a 4mm hook blush

if I measure a 6" chain then by the time I've done a couple more rows, it changes & is longer than I expected (without me making mistakes!)

Dunno why I'm being so dopey, it should be straightforward. In my defence, I am ill & brain seems to be on strike.

Granny squares are ok, I think but nothing too holey.

Thank you for the links.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 20-Oct-13 09:09:13

Rather than doing rows, try Catherine Hirst's tutorial for doing a granny square see here I heart her, she taught me, and I found going round MUCH easier, it made sense, still can't manage a square of rows of crochet that doesn't have a frilly edge.

If you did squares in different colours in that zingy wool of yours it would be really effective when all attached.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 20-Oct-13 10:28:28

Are your stitches getting wider as you work up? Working in the round is far easier

Grockle Sun 20-Oct-13 18:21:38

Pistey... best link ever! Thank you.

My crocheting is fine, my stitches are ok, it's just the actual square making thing that I got stuck on. Don't know why. Like I said, my brain is not working atm. All sorted now though smile

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Oct-13 12:31:26

Crack on , my lovely smile

Give us a shout if you need any help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now