Feminist Pub VIII: not as prolific as the Swaggerers, but there are cushions and consciousness

(1000 Posts)

Seeing as I cried at the end of the night in the last pub, I guess I should mop up the carnage and start afresh.

Welcome!

What does the pub look like this week? For some reason (maybe it's all the theory) I am thinking wall panelling and chesterfields, but with a modern touch.

DoctorTwo Mon 07-Jul-14 19:51:17

And American craft ales. Note that major breweries are setting up their own 'craft' breweries. At least one of which has a female head brewer.

This is a shameless placemark.

And the walls are adorned with women's artwork, signed by the artists. And well thumbed, leather bound volumes by talented female writers are available to all patrons to read.

almondcakes Mon 07-Jul-14 21:05:29

Hello. I'm just appearing here as I usually only roll up elsewhere in the middle of a heated debate, which seems rather rude.

OublietteBravo Mon 07-Jul-14 21:18:42

Hello. I'm going to stop lurking and start posting (the start of a new thread seems as good a time as any).

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 21:29:45

I'm going to put some PJ Harvey on the jukebox. I think she's going to be ok by the musical Bechdel...

Ooh, hello! I like the look of this new pub, buffy.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now.

<waves to monty, almond, oubliette and drtwo>

I think since it's July, we do really need a nice pub garden. Minus wasps of course. Wasps are an emanation of the patriarchy.

The garden should have sweet peas that, unlike in my garden, someone got around to planting out at the correct time, so they are tall and have flowers on.

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 21:40:32

grin <Waves>

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 21:54:53

Hello Bravo.

Found you. Can't shed me that easily. grin

I'm finally going to read the Golden Notebook and they haven't got it in the library. The injustice!

Pub garden - raspberries, blueberries, plums, blackberries, and scary roses. That's my garden. You are all welcome.

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 22:05:27

Doris Lessing? Well reminded, I started that and have lost it! Is it heavily recommended on here? I read Ben in the World (wasn't that two, actaully?) But Golden Notebook looked very different.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 22:07:45

They haven't got it in the library!!!! Shall I buy a second hand copy or a kindle edition? I want a proper book. NOW!!! << trantrums >>

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 22:08:31

Sorry Monty I don't know if it's recommended on here. grin I just have a sudden fancy for it.

Ooh, upto, your garden sounds perfect.

I can contribute tall and flowering sweetpeas from my garden. I also have grapes on the vine, cherries on the tree, and a healthy dose of smugness.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 08-Jul-14 00:42:42

I would recommend The Golden Notebook, definitely.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 08-Jul-14 00:45:05

<dons black polo neck to fit in with theoretical atmosphere>

<realises polo necks are a Tool of the Patriarchy that make breasts look rubbish>

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 08-Jul-14 04:45:29

Hello! A garden sounds lovely; it's mid-winter here, and nothing at all is blooming. I am cheering myself up with my latest project, which at a pinch could count as a feminist project: I am reclaiming an old, disused room at the bottom of my house as mine. This is involving chipping out crumbling plaster and re-cladding the walls, as well as painting, flooring, and then decorating. It is, literally, my Room Of One's Own.

I might paint it purple.

StormyBrid Tue 08-Jul-14 08:58:27

I can provide an assortment of cats to artfully drape across sunny spots in the garden.

Also, Buffy, when the trans thread went a bit theoretical, I was reading along and grinning at your awesome mastery (mistressery?) of all the words. Very jealous. Can I be you when I grow up?

7Days Tue 08-Jul-14 09:24:08

A room of your own sounds lovely Tortoise

Sounds like a lot of work to get it ready, but really satisfying work, too

LurcioAgain Tue 08-Jul-14 09:40:46

<Borrows Doctrine's discarded black polo neck on the grounds that though it may be a tool of the patriarchy, it is also a friend of old crones with wrinkly necks>

<Dons half glasses and hopes that if she places a book on post-structuralism by her elbow some of it will somehow be absorbed by osmosis>

7Days Tue 08-Jul-14 09:51:56

that sounds like my college days studying Lurcio, bring the book to the pub and hope for the best

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 08-Jul-14 10:00:59

A room of your own. envy

I've ordered a copy of the Golden Notebook. Second hand, so it's environmentally friendly. smile Hope I don't go off the idea before it arrives. hmm

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 08-Jul-14 10:09:53

Morning. brew

Tortoise I'm also envy I've always wanted a room of my own - but haven't had one since I married. DH has always 'needed' his own study, whereas I end up perched at the kitchen table. That's such a cliche in itself, isn't it?

I ordered the Golden Notebook and A Room Of My Own when Doris Lessing died but I've not got round to reading them yet. Going to dig them out now smile

allhailqueenmab Tue 08-Jul-14 11:01:05

hi, pubbers

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 08-Jul-14 11:08:00

I'm rereading an old paper of mine published right after my PhD and a bit shock at how learned it looked, mainly because I can't remember most of it. grin Maybe I'll stop thinking that my PhD thesis was no good...

This thread is not accepting new messages.