A TED Talk That Might Turn Every Man Who Watches It Into A Feminist?

(165 Posts)
BuffytheAppleBobber Fri 18-Oct-13 13:27:00

I thought this was quite good.

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 16:39:05

Debating and challenging them with words.

And why is it the responsibility of non-violent men to get involved with violent-men again?

Challenge the wrong person and that would basically be asking for trouble.

Grennie Sun 27-Oct-13 16:39:41

So you leave women to deal with it and to educate men?

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 16:40:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grennie Sun 27-Oct-13 16:41:24

No. You just need to talk to the men you are friends with and educate them. Not so difficult if you care about these issues.

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 16:42:58

"Educate" them? I'm not a school teacher. And what if my friends aren't violent?

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 16:48:15

We get it. You do not give a shit about male violence.

Um, not sure how you expect us to respond to this?

kim147 Sun 27-Oct-13 16:49:58

Do you ask a new dad if he will be altering his work for childcare? Discuss money in a relationship? Housework? Contraception?

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 16:57:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

WMittens Sun 27-Oct-13 16:59:38

mediarek

"Educate" them? I'm not a school teacher.

You have a very limited understanding of the word 'educate'.

And what if my friends aren't violent?

Great! Convince them to spread the word too. Six degrees of separation etc. etc. they are going to know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is violent. That is how a cultural change happens.

WMittens Sun 27-Oct-13 17:02:02

mediarek

is not my responsibility

As I said before, 'responsibility for violence committed' is your strawman and not the message of the video.

kim147 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:02:12

You mean you are not responsible for men's violence.

But do you, as a man, want to see a world where there is less male violence - both towards women and towards men?

You don't have to pick physical fights. But campaigning, talking, etc - wouldn't that help make a better world?

Of course you can seem powerless when it's all around you. You think what can I do - it's out of my control. I'm only one person.

But if we thought like that, nothing would change and nothing ever would change.

Male violence exists. It's harmful to society.

Grennie Sun 27-Oct-13 17:11:56

He means he doesn't care about women at all. He just came on to lecture as about the poor menz.

Grennie Sun 27-Oct-13 17:12:23

And he probably thinks it is misandry that we are not all agreeing with him.

garlicvampire Sun 27-Oct-13 18:42:40

In that case, I'm rather impressed by the misandrogenistic speed with which his/her posts were deleted smile

garlicvampire Sun 27-Oct-13 18:47:04

Or should that be misandristic? Misandric? confused
Nice deletions, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now