So I popped into Mothercare today and can you guess the slogans for the clothes?

(61 Posts)
kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:53:46

Boys clothes...for your little monkeys

Girls clothes ...Give us a twirl, all in this season's colours (as long as it's pink)

Just saying like.

grimbletart Thu 05-Sep-13 17:57:33

My experience spans the 50s (when I was 7-17) the 60s as older teen and twenties, 60s and 70s when my DCs were born and the 80s when they were teens, so pretty extensive. What was available to me and my DCs in our childhoods - thinking about clothing and activities - in an era that was technically pre second-wave feminism, though we are all in fact feminists as was my mother and grandmother, was much less stereotyped than today.

It seems to me that as women have become more and more independent, economically and socially and free (apparently) to be/do what we want the tendency to shove girls back into - for want of a better word - a princess box has increased. Girls today, for an example, seem to bother what boys think of them whereas I and my school friends and my DCs couldn't give a flying fart.

Is that my imagination or is there some sort of subtle backlash going on?

Conspiracy theorist - moi? Surely not. grin

devilinside Thu 05-Sep-13 22:34:44

No way was it the same in the 70s. I had short hair throughout my childhood, and it was the norm. I got my very first item of pink clothing aged 18.

kerala Fri 06-Sep-13 09:24:29

Read Susan faludi backlash abit dated but she wrote a book essentially setting out grumble tarts above theory

I haven't stepped foot in a Mother-fuckers-don't-Care since they sacked me. grin

Rooners Fri 06-Sep-13 10:20:47

The Jools Oliver things are beautiful. But by the age of 5 or 6 my boys are so conditioned by their mates at school that they are very very fussy about what they will wear. It's so sad.

I've also found some H&M baby clothes and Boots 'collectable' things are traditional and quite unisex...ds3 has been wearing some really pretty white cotton smocks and though they are lacy, he is a baby (8mo) and this to me is what babies should be allowed to wear - they were perfect in the hot summer we just had.

this set is gorgeous, he's sadly grown out of it now!

ModeratelyObvious Fri 06-Sep-13 10:29:18

Mellie, ds2 (3.5) likes pink, ds1 (6) is fine with it but a friend's DD who is also 6 comments on him having a girl's plate or whatever. And yes, I say people like what they like etc - but plenty of parents make comments too!

chocoluvva Fri 06-Sep-13 10:46:46

Ooh - spill Amazing! Why were you sacked - was it for defacing the slogans on their boards? [hopeful]

grin I was one of the many hundreds of staff made redundant when they closed most of the early learning centre shops!

So no defacing the slogans on the signage i'm afraid sad

We did write rude things about them in the dirt of their delivery lorries though!

shrinkingnora Fri 06-Sep-13 10:58:52

DS2 is currently wearing DD's old bike helmet. It's white with pink flowers on (because that was all there was that fitted her at the time) and the number of parents at school that make comments on it being a girl's helmet far outweigh the number of kids. He's really proud of it.

SkiSchoolRun Fri 06-Sep-13 11:10:29

My mil has 3 gds and v recently a new baby gs. The girls have all had the same crocheted newborn cardy made for them. It was a pattern she used for DH and his brother and sister when they were born. She was proud of said frilly cardy thing when she made it again for my dd1 (first gd). It wasn't really my taste but perfectly sweet for a new baby. I was quite sad when she and I went to see gs on day 1 and she said "oh, I won't take the the cardy I have made as its just not suitable for a boy these days" hmm Even 68yos are being conditioned.

chocoluvva Fri 06-Sep-13 11:15:29

I still miss ELC. sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now