So I popped into Mothercare today and can you guess the slogans for the clothes?

(61 Posts)
kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:53:46

Boys clothes...for your little monkeys

Girls clothes ...Give us a twirl, all in this season's colours (as long as it's pink)

Just saying like.

chocoluvva Tue 03-Sep-13 12:57:23

Oh dear.

Little boys are naughty and we love them for it.

Little girls enjoy fashion. Isn't that nice?

Nooooooo.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 03-Sep-13 19:11:45

I have heard it said, in RL, to a little girl, that she was not to be naughty because she's a girl. << faints >>

Is Mothercare still around? I thought it's gone belly up ages ago...

RubyrooUK Tue 03-Sep-13 19:24:35

Nice to see the CEO really listened to that Mumsnet web chat. Ahem. wink

heidihole Thu 05-Sep-13 09:55:30

Boy : " smile if you think I'm cheeky"

I despair.

gaggiagirl Thu 05-Sep-13 10:01:53

FFS mothercare, no no no no no no.

Pachacuti Thu 05-Sep-13 10:05:34

The odd thing is that (in spite of its reputation) Mothercare's always had a lot of stuff that isn't pink for girls. If you go to one of their smaller stores then they seem to only stock the pink bit of the range, but the large Mothercares have a wider selection (for example, looking online there are 28 dresses in this season's range and only six of those are pink -- ratios are similar or better in other clothing items). So they are actually going out of their way to push the "pink girly girl" message even though that's not what they sell . Somewhere there is a massive disconnect between their designers and their marketing people.

rainbowfeet Thu 05-Sep-13 10:06:16

None of the above would offend me... If you don't like them don't buy them!!!

I will not be judged for wanting my ds to look like a boy in traditional boys colours & the odd slogan top if it appeals & for my dd to look girlie if she chooses & at age 10, she still does. My kids, my money!! shock

TheBookofRuth Thu 05-Sep-13 10:12:02

In the park the other day I heard a mother tell her little girl not to play with sticks "because you're not a boy!"

A little boy came up to my DD the other week and pushed her over - his parents just shrugged and said "he's such a boy!"

And in a catalogue for a children's company the other day they were advertising the "girls" room as "fit for a princess" and the "boys" room as "perfect for your little explorers." Because heaven forbid we should want our daughters to explore the world around them, eh? Far better they stay at and dream of the day their prince will come.

TheBookofRuth Thu 05-Sep-13 10:13:20

You will not be judged, eh Rainbowfeet? How exactly are you going to stop me?

Pachacuti Thu 05-Sep-13 10:14:57

I think the issue, rainbowfeet, is that those are (if I'm understanding the OP correctly) the banner headings that were given to the entire boys' and girls' sections of the store. So all boys' clothes were labelled "for your little monkeys" and all girls clothes were labelled "Give us a twirl, all in this season's colours (as long as it's pink)" . It's not about what you want your children to wear or how you spend your money, it's about how a major national retailer chooses to summarise the two genders.

By the way, pink is a "traditional boys colour". Its use for girls is of fairly recent origin.

rainbowfeet Thu 05-Sep-13 10:16:10

By laughing at such stupid threads!!..

YoniBottsBumgina Thu 05-Sep-13 10:16:55

Yes, they used to have lots of unisex/bright baby stuff when DS was a baby but those headings are indeed vile.

shrinkingnora Thu 05-Sep-13 10:20:32

FFS Kim, you do realise that if boys wear pink they catch gay? And girls grow willies if they wear boys clothes.

DuelingFanjo Thu 05-Sep-13 10:21:45

I avoid 'mummy's little monster' and 'cheeky monkey' stuff for my son. Hate it.

Pachacuti Thu 05-Sep-13 10:43:51

I don't judge you for wanting your ds to look like a boy in traditional boys colours and the odd slogan top if it appeals and for your dd to look girlie if she chooses.

I do judge you for your ability to spectacularly miss the point, to make a discussion all about you, and your failure to engage with other posters in a sensible manner.

OddBoots Thu 05-Sep-13 11:05:18

Just as I feel there is some progress (The Toys R Us news yesterday) it seems like a step backwards again.

rainbowfeet I don't judge anything your children wear, it's not about what individual children and parents choose, it's about how it is marketed and the culture that creates.

kim147 Thu 05-Sep-13 11:19:52

It was a lovely big slogan on both parts of the shop. TBF, most of the children who go in there to get their clothes probably can't read them.

chocoluvva Thu 05-Sep-13 12:56:07

I think the problem is that the slogans send out a message that it is normal and acceptable, or even desirable for boys to be cheeky and naughty. At best this seems unambitious or thoughtless - don't we ultimately want our boys to grow up into respectful adults? And why is it ok for boys to be naughty but not for girls? That doesn't seem fair.

And while it's fine for little girls to enjoy being interested in clothes, it's not fair to expect that of them, especially in our over-sexualised western culture in which girls are under enormous pressure to be seen to be sexually available.

I say this as someone who was very happy for my DD to wear pink. I like pink and it suits her but she doesn't need any encouragement to waste a lot of her valuable time on thinking about her appearance.

rainbowfeet Thu 05-Sep-13 14:06:29

Pachacuti you are rude!

I am not attempting to make it about me at all & I do get the point that some people feel it is stereotyping genders by stocking these clothes but hey there are other clothes out there alongside this type, I am simply saying I have always dressed my dc's in said traditional set colours & styles & can't see any problem in it! And I don't get why if they are not your choice you wouldn't just walk past them & forget about it rather than create a post about it.

kim147 Thu 05-Sep-13 14:12:30

rainbowfeet

But it's not just Mothercare. There's so many slogans and messages that companies give off all reinforcing the same stuff.

I suppose we could ignore all companies that say all this stuff and just carry on confused

kim147 Thu 05-Sep-13 14:13:07

pachacuti

It's not about the clothes. It's the slogans.

grimbletart Thu 05-Sep-13 14:18:29

rainbow feet: I don't think anyone is against individual choice. What irritates is the sheer volume of stereotyped pink/blue/camouflage stuff.

I'm a gran so have the experience of how things were when I was a child (multi coloured), how things were when my dcs were children (multi coloured) and now, especially for girls - eyes assaulted by a sea of pink (generally). Such a lack of real choice.

chocoluvva Thu 05-Sep-13 14:18:48

"it's about ... the culture that creates" - OddBoots

That's the problem in a nutshell.

grimbletart Thu 05-Sep-13 14:20:08

And yes, the slogans - get back in your delicate little boxes little girls before you become too uppity and do something interesting! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now