What we already knew: women are happier after divorce than men are

(29 Posts)
BasilBabyEater Fri 12-Jul-13 23:06:51
BasilBabyEater Sat 13-Jul-13 07:52:31

God that Tim Lott article is horrifying.

It deserves a thread all to itself.

He is clearly a controlling git and his behaviour may possibly amount to financial abuse - he has the last say on where they go on holiday because he earns more money than her? Fuck, what sort of attitude is that?

BasilBabyEater Sat 13-Jul-13 07:59:45

3/5 of lone parents don't get maintenance.

The government's response to this, is to charge lone parents £100 to access the service, with no guarantee that they will end up with maintenance at the end of it having invested that £100. Much better to bully women into staying with abusive men. And let's be clear: men who don't pay maintenance are abusive men, they are financial abusers and as such, prove that the women who split from them were right to do so.

And yet still, without the maintenance, women are happier than men are after divorce.

I don't buy DadtheLion's view that you should marry a feminist and if you divorce you'll be happier than the average man because you'll be held to account. I'm a feminist and I have no way of holding my ex to account. The state doesn't support me in doing that, so it's entirely his choice whether to be a good father or not, I can't do anything to influence that and the state is not interested in influencing that - its primary concern was to ensure that a) we got married and b) we stayed together. Once those 2 things are finished with, the state appears to lose interest in men's parenting.

Darkesteyes Sat 13-Jul-13 14:54:57

Basil it has a thread all to itself I started one in Relationships "Is this financial abuse or am i reading it wrong"

Darkesteyes Sat 13-Jul-13 14:56:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now