"Podium girls" - cyclist pinches bottom

(51 Posts)
kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:55:50
TheSmallClanger Wed 03-Apr-13 01:20:43

It is not on to touch someone else's bum without their permission. Even if you're there to dish out the trophies and the cheek-pecks, you don't expect to have your arse manhandled.

The podium lady should have farted in his face.

TeiTetua Tue 02-Apr-13 23:23:14

Yes, I only saw one Podium Girl, in the Independent picture, though a second one was mentioned in the text. But that expression on Fabian Cancellara's face made me think he deserved a mention too, especially when I found a picture with both women. It made me think that being forced to interact with irrelevant pretty girls isn't necessarily what men always want. Perhaps the men who misbehave like it better.

Sorry to have forgotten the square brackets yet again.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 02-Apr-13 22:43:02

Ashes, OP's link only had one so I think Tei had been looking at that one.

NiceTabard Tue 02-Apr-13 21:15:06

Oh yuck that picture look at his face. Puke.

ashesgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 21:13:52

Thanks Doctrine ... but there were 2 women in the original shot I saw.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 02-Apr-13 21:09:49

There are two podium women in the uncropped picture, ashes.

ashesgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 19:38:19

Sorry I don't really understand, TeiTetua.

TeiTetua Tue 02-Apr-13 13:13:44

Actually the Independent's picture was trimmed. Things were twice as bad for Fabian Cancellara as it showed:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02524/Peter-Sagan_GI_2524093b.jpg

MT--once abuse begins, it's difficult to set a limit to it.

MechanicalTheatre Tue 02-Apr-13 03:04:42

"Accepting the role of podium girl means you've waived away your right to be treated with dignity."

What about if I go out wearing a short skirt and someone touches my ass? Is that my fault as well, because I've waived my right to dignity?

TeiTetua Mon 01-Apr-13 22:27:08

"Accepting the role of podium girl means you've waived away your right to be treated with dignity.

There should be a question mark on end of that last sentence."

Or maybe there shouldn't.

It's a rotten system. We can argue over how rotten.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 21:45:51

So he's now issued an apology on his FB page. The amount of people there telling him how brilliant he was for pinching her bum, how feminists are just ugly and jealous, how this is what men do and many would have gone further. Unbelievable.

Anifrangapani Mon 01-Apr-13 21:36:07

And another thing - more column inches have been used on this subject than is ever given to womens cycling. Sagan is a penis.

ChunkyPickle Mon 01-Apr-13 21:35:14

When I watched motorbike racing there were your standard pit girls, but there were also a fair few teams that had fully dressed women and men holding the umbrella/drink/helmet/whatever.

At least in motorbike racing they do have a use - imagine sitting, in leathers on a hot motorbike in the backing Quatari sun waiting for the race to start - having someone to provide liquids and shade for that 10 minutes is actually vital.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 21:32:53

There should be a question mark on end of that last sentence.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 21:32:24

'Once women are put in such a role, who's to say what the limits ought to be?'

Hmm, the law? The event organisers? His employer?

Accepting the role of podium girl means you've waived away your right to be treated with dignity.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 21:27:31

Well, kissing happens even from "dignitaries" doing the presenting and kissing on the cheek is a form of greeting frequently, where bottom pinching is not.

TeiTetua Mon 01-Apr-13 21:14:40

And the kiss, how about that?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 21:12:57

Hmm, but both the cyclist and the podium woman were at work.

I'm pretty sure the groping was non-contractual, though the outfit may well have been contractual.

TeiTetua Mon 01-Apr-13 21:11:33

"Do that at work and it's harassment"--but what exactly are the expectations for this particular job? Maybe it's to stand around being a sexy babe, and accept some physical manifestations from the men to prove that it's having an effect. Once women are put in such a role, who's to say what the limits ought to be?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 21:07:40

There were podium men and women during the Olympics - passing the flowers around, I think - all smartly and not skimpily dressed.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 20:49:48

I wonder if he will get disciplined for it actually?

kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 20:46:52

Exactly - do that at work and it's harassment.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 20:41:43

Whatever way you cut it, the presence of podium girls is sexist.

And it would be a massive leap forward if they stop using them.

Much as I dislike that these sporting events use them, the women still deserve to be treated with respect. Have seen many people on Twitter and in comments on articles today reply it's no big deal she had her bum pinched, that what can she expect if she works in such a job. Such ingrained sexism going on out there.

MechanicalTheatre Mon 01-Apr-13 20:26:18

I love formula one, but the pit/grid girls thing continues to lumber on and piss me off. The drivers never even pay them any attention! What on earth are they doing there? There's one female driver (who is currently in reserve) and yet we still see the need to have women in bikini tops holding a sign/umbrella.

Load.of.shite.

kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 20:17:42

I think the whole idea of podium / pit girls is wrong - what is their purpose? Is it to hand stuff out / show the round? If so, why scampily dressed?

<Rhetorical question>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now