'Interesting' blog post

(64 Posts)
StickEmUp Wed 13-Mar-13 22:29:28

While thinking about maternal rights i came across this blog, the latest post is a bit strange.
I dont understand the thinking.
hikinghumanist.com/

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 00:32:35

haha, can you not drag yourself away either?

I turned off my notification - she's prob american and has at least 5 hours more of her evening to go, so not worth risking!

Trekkie Sat 16-Mar-13 00:36:32

I didn't enable notification

I am clevers like that wink

I am on there

Should probably stop!

PromQueenWithin Sat 16-Mar-13 08:15:29

I went back. Laughed at her responses, not really out loud but there was some audibility. Seriously, what a loon!

StickEmUp Sat 16-Mar-13 08:33:38

Wow i posted then ran away lol.
Lots of the whole blog is complete lunacy.
I am childfree but please don't tar me with the same nutter brush lol.

She just doesn't think people should have kids and anyway mothers are helped she disagrees with whether its feminist or not.

I wondered a few days ago whether to bring her blog here mainly because of the word 'feminist' everywhere and that last post tipped me over the edge.

Sorry if it wound anyone up, i kinda knew it would tbh.

As for childfree, personally it is a word i use instead of childless. I am not less of anything (i could do with a few more pounds in the bank though!).

However, most of the childfree stances on parenting i disagree with.

NoTimeForS Sat 16-Mar-13 08:47:05

Ha at "wot about the animalz?" grin

StickEmUp Sat 16-Mar-13 09:20:50
FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 10:08:36

LOL
Just gone in this morning and seen a whole load of dysfunctional loons posting.
Think I'll just unsubscribe now. You could spend your life countering such madness.

grin

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 10:13:06

Seriously though, I do actually feel a bit sorry for some of them.

They're so eaten up with hatred of mothers, it's not normal.

You can believe on a political level that maternity leave etc., is not good.

But the sheer passion about it and the lack of rational thinking and also the fact that none of them are remotely willing to look at men's choices about parenting - it's all horrible women making life difficult for them because they insist on breeding - shows some kind of internalised misogyny or self-hatred which must be horrible to live with.

Happy people just aren't so vituperative.

I read two of her posts and that told me she has some major issues with the idea of reproduction and has totally failed to realise that for most people it's a totally normal biological drive to do so!
Plus the money that gets leant to countries, in order to make up the shortfall between taxes gathered and the money that needs to be spent, is actually based around the idea of population increase, so too right women should be supported for having babies!

WoTmania Sat 16-Mar-13 10:45:28

It's this concept that having children is a 'lifestyle choice'....very annoying that they don't engage at all with the idea that men get to have it all while women are still having to choose between children and a decent career/FT job.
They seem to think that the world would be a better place if no one had babies. I'm wondering who, in their little childfree utopia, is going to be paying taxes etc in the future.

AbigailAdams Sat 16-Mar-13 12:01:43

Does anyone else feel this view is only a couple of steps away from the ostracising, women-blaming shit that single-mothers and other mothers used to (and can still) go through because they "didn't keep their legs shut" or whatever <vomits slightly>. Reading between the lines she already feels that contraceptive is the woman's responsibility. It must be, if having children is solely the woman's choice. The lack of critical analysis on men's choices and the way the working world is set up is exactly why women are oppressed still today and were traditionally sent away to have babies (Magdalene Laundries anyone), have illegal abortions etc.

I just don't think she is that far away to going back 50 years ago.

TunipTheVegedude Sat 16-Mar-13 12:40:18

yes, I think exactly that Abigail.

AbigailAdams Sat 16-Mar-13 13:22:36

It's just more of the same old woman-blaming shit, wrapped up as feminism (or humanism - whatever takes her fancy today).

WoTmania Sat 16-Mar-13 14:22:14

Totally agree Abigail

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now