'Interesting' blog post

(64 Posts)
StickEmUp Wed 13-Mar-13 22:29:28

While thinking about maternal rights i came across this blog, the latest post is a bit strange.
I dont understand the thinking.
hikinghumanist.com/

samandi Fri 15-Mar-13 20:59:32

She doesn't seem particularly feminist to me. Her views are more along anti-feminist lines - women have to fit in with traditional patriarchal systems either by being traditional women or by being "one of the boys".

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 21:05:01

Except that they ahouldn't be trad women either because having kids is disempowering

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 21:05:47

Thanks WoT.

I was just thinking that she doesn't claim to be a feminist but a humanist (but wot about the ANIMALZ???) so when she says she doesn't think something is feminist it isn't clear that she isn't speaking as one herself IYSWIM. So it could be a wotaboutthemenz blog saying "feminazis have it all wrong" and same diff.

unless I have missed her saying she thinks she is a feminist (entirely possible).

samandi Fri 15-Mar-13 21:09:20

Except that they ahouldn't be trad women either because having kids is disempowering

True ... and I suspect that many anti-feminists think that anyway.

WoTmania Fri 15-Mar-13 21:10:35

I reread and beginning of her second paragraph starts 'as a feminist'. thank goodness it was near the beginning and I didn't have to reread all of it.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 21:11:15

No I think you're right, she's not claiming to be feminist, she's one of those people who like to tell feminists how they're doing feminism all wrong. I initially assumed she was because she was critiquing a feminist demand... Er...

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 21:12:27

Oops x posted. And of course that bit must have seeped into my mind

WoTmania Fri 15-Mar-13 21:15:11

I wonder what she thinks of female quotas/shortlists - I might request a post on that grin

samandi Fri 15-Mar-13 21:15:46

Ah, is she one of these "I would be a feminist if feminists actually believed in equality, but they want special privileges for women so I'm not" people? That would make sense.

WoTmania Fri 15-Mar-13 21:24:48

oh no apparently she is a feminist - anyone who wants extra privileges like mat leave is a fake-feminist who worships at the altar of the fake mothergoddess deity.....

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 21:25:05

Thanks again WoT.

I think maybe she is a bit confused. Like this > confused

I a tempted to challenge her "humanist" principles on teh grounds of WhatAboutAllOtherLifeOnThePlanetHmmmYeah? and take it from there grin

WoTmania Fri 15-Mar-13 21:26:14

oh and people women should plan and be responsible for their choices, she doesn't actually mention men at all

WoTmania Fri 15-Mar-13 21:28:06

Haha, I reckon you should Trekkie

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 21:34:32

It is tempting ro just take the piss, isn't it? grin

<watches angel wrestling with devil on shoulder>

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 21:34:44

Unfortunately I've just shot my bolt on the comments section so WhatAboutTheCommonEarthwormAndTheAliensHmmDude will have to wait....

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 21:52:24

Apols for language blush

Not sure that particular colloquialism is appropriate on FWR.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 21:58:49

grin

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 23:08:32

Arf.

Unfortunately I seem to have subscribed to that blog - must unsub soon! So I am getting further comments with her responses.

She's now making me larf. She's obviously one of those really unhinged mother-haters.

Does anyone remember a website where lots of childless women posted about how fat and disgusting pregnant women are? They just don't realise how demented they sound to onlookers.

And they have this bizarre justification of feminism as if choosing to be childless is in of itself a feminist choice and all those idiots who chose motherhood are the enemy.

And literally as Wotmania mentioned, she says NOT ONE WORD about men and their choices.

It's almost hilarious.

grin

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 23:19:37

Oooh is she on

I will go look

Am aprehensive

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 23:25:07

Thing is, she's so mad that you can't even take her seriously anymore.

No need for apprehension, it's just off the wall madniss! grin

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 23:32:55

KaPOW

On behalf of all non humans everywhere grin

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 23:33:47

Thing is

she's a humanist. right?

she clearly doesn't think women are human
despite being one...
patriarchy job DONE!!!

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 00:15:13

God I can't stop. Must go to bed and remove myself from her insane rantings.

grin

Trekkie Sat 16-Mar-13 00:21:25

Um

Trekkie Sat 16-Mar-13 00:21:47

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now