new Pope

(86 Posts)

he's a scientist apparently. does it give us hope?

ProphetOfDoom Wed 13-Mar-13 19:16:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I'm an athiest. but I feel like the Catholic Church affects all of us good or bad.

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 19:19:29

Wait, how do you know who new pope is? I thought no-one knew new pope yet?

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 19:22:14

Oh right, it's on BBC. Is not on Guardian. Weird.

I've got friends in high places
<wink wink nod, touches nose>

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 19:27:35

He's not a scientist though confused

the coverage I'm watching said he was confused

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 19:39:46

Wiki says he studied philosophy.

they also said this guy has spoken out against people refusing to baptize children of single mothers!? I didn't even know that was an issue confused. Why would people punish babies for any perceived "sins" of their parents.

No I dont see anything about him being a scientist either.. not sure if i totally misheard or if it was over enthusiastic reporting since it was mentioned as soon as he was named

Hmm. He's against gay married because children need mothers and fathers. hmm

He sounds really progressive and all.

AbigailAdams Wed 13-Mar-13 19:59:56

Oh goody hmm

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 20:11:36

The gay marriage thing pisses me off. He does say we should respect and be kind to gay people though, so that's a start.

What pisses me off most is the condom thing. When the hell are the catholic church going to get their stupid heads out of their behinds and just say it's fine? It is KILLING people.

Mrsrobertduvall Wed 13-Mar-13 20:13:27

The word "progressive" and Catholic don't really go together.

TeiTetua Wed 13-Mar-13 20:14:59

Oh yawn.

I take it he's a male Catholic?

Hassled Wed 13-Mar-13 20:17:15

I don't know why I'm so disappointed - I'm not religious at all. Good that he ticks the "contraception OK to stop disease" box and good that no link with any scandals, but he's not the progessive I naively hoped they'd come up with. Guardian site says:

The archbishop of Buenos Aires is a Jesuit intellectual who travels by bus and has a practical approach to poverty: when he was appointed a cardinal, Bergoglio persuaded hundreds of Argentinians not to fly to Rome to celebrate with him but instead to give the money they would have spent on plane tickets to the poor. He was a fierce opponent of Argentinas decision to legalise gay marriage in 2010, arguing children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother. He was created a cardinal by John Paul II on 21 February 2001.

Hassled Wed 13-Mar-13 20:17:49

Sorry - I do know why I'm so disappointed. That was a stupid thing to say.

Weissdorn Wed 13-Mar-13 20:20:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MechanicalTheatre Wed 13-Mar-13 20:22:09

I know what you mean Hassled. I am a little disappointed too. I would like someone to change the way the catholic church does things, cos it has such a massive influence (1.2 billion catholics in the world, after all.) But I am not religious at all, no connection to the catholic church.

But he seems a lot NICER than the old pope, so that's a start.

Mitchy1nge Wed 13-Mar-13 20:32:41

he is quite progressive though, has a social conscience, thinks women should have more senior Curial positions, and although not pro gay marriage speaks against homophobia

it is a good outcome

SheepCantFly Wed 13-Mar-13 21:39:16

He is linked to the kidnapping and torture of two priests in the 80s and the torture and murder of many people in Argentina. Oh joy. hmm

scaevola Wed 13-Mar-13 21:42:33

Sheep do you have a link for that?

At the moment the telly is highlighting his good points (appropriate for today), but it'll be interesting to see what else comes out after the time for initial celebrations passes.

SheepCantFly Wed 13-Mar-13 21:45:01

It's on Wikipedia not very reliable I know under the pre papacy section. There is also a book about it apparently.

mostpopular Wed 13-Mar-13 22:02:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now