The casual use of mysogonistic language on MN

(96 Posts)
kim147 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:21:44

Just wondering what people think of it and if MN should do anything about it?

Look at AIBU and the casual use of "bitch" and "cow" to describe other women.
Should MN do anything about it?

But it's not ok to use male-based swear words. confused

Why would you assume people think that? Surely men aren't so much the default? We've established gender-based swear words are dubious, so it smacks rather of male entitlement to expect a special confirmation that this is still the case for men, no?

Daddelion Mon 21-Jan-13 16:17:06

I've never heard a woman called a wanker, ever.

Does it happen?

Twat seems to be the favourite insult for men on MN.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 21-Jan-13 16:20:12

I'm a fan of douchebag myself, or cunt when I'm provoked.

That aside, I'm not sure what the answer is - we live in a world saturated with misogynistic language and it's no surprise that's reflected here.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 21-Jan-13 16:28:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sorry for posting and disappearing earlier! Thanks for the explanatory posts, I thought I must be missing something. blush

Charlizee Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:32

Pig and dickhead are other insults dominantly used for men

Charlizee Mon 21-Jan-13 17:08:28

The word which makes me the most angry is "pimp" because it is now used in a positive connotation when its reality is violence against women.

You do realize pimp is just a slang term for an agent (female equivalent is a madam)? ie someone who is employed by a sex worker to provide a place to work and security from clients who cause trouble?

Just because someone is an agent/pimp doesn't automatically mean he is violent or disrespects the sex worker. That's a stereotype that's been played so often it's often the first thing people think of when they hear the word pimp.

AnyFucker Mon 21-Jan-13 17:15:37

here is a dictionary definition of the word pimp

here is a more colloquial description of the term

it's fairly clear to me

Darkesteyes Mon 21-Jan-13 17:22:32

Nymphomaniac -derogatory term for women who like sex
frigid -derogatory term for women who may have problems
with intimacy for whatever reason (i dont mean that to sound flippant btw.)
I dont hear these terms applied to men.

AnyFucker Mon 21-Jan-13 17:48:42

No, you are more likely to hear "he likes to sow his oats" and i can't think of anything that equates to "frigid" when applied to a man, tbh

Because men are entitled to shag around and have no judgments made (but God help the woman who does it) and men are always up for sex, ain't they ? Er, no.

Darkesteyes Mon 21-Jan-13 17:51:35

Exactly AF. Agreed.

Charlizee Mon 21-Jan-13 18:01:56

@AnyFucker You're quoting urbandictionary as a source?? You do realize it's like wikipedia anyone can add anything to do and it isn't checked or verified?

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 21-Jan-13 18:37:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Mon 21-Jan-13 18:39:54

charli, yes, I deliberately quoted a formal dictionary definition and a colloquial definition to show that both sources describe "pimp" as something rather more than simply "a man who works in the sex industry"

Charlizee Mon 21-Jan-13 18:53:51

"A pimp is an agent for prostitutes who collects part of their earnings. This act is called procuring or Pandering. The pimp may receive this money in return for advertising services, physical protection, or for providing, and possibly monopolizing, a location where she may engage clients. A woman who runs a brothel is known as a madam rather than a pimp."

There you go a Wikipedia definition.

feministefatale Mon 21-Jan-13 20:02:27

I think most insults seem to be pretty gender specific.. So i tend to not worry too much when someone (a female) calls another bitch or cow, but do get very upset about words that are derogatory to women as a whole. Such as slut whore etc. I'd use either the way I would call a man a dick or prick etc. I wouldn't call a man a female insult purely because I think using female insults at a man the implication is that being a woman is shit some how. So I won't call a guy a pussy etc.

Daddelion Mon 21-Jan-13 21:47:00

Or stop insulting people.

Do people say these words to people's faces in real life?

They don't in my world. Well not very often.

Hobbitation Mon 21-Jan-13 22:06:48

I think what I hate more is people using "girly" as derogatory. As being a girl is a bit shit, inferior obviously. angry Or men calling each other "ladies" implying they are a bit namby pamby.

We definitely need some great non-genderised insults though. Shitclown?

feministefatale Mon 21-Jan-13 22:19:01

no daddeliion, some times a well placed, "fuck off, you ****" is totally necessary. I have used bad words to people's faces, yes, not as often as is necessary on mumsnet because I only hang out with people I like in rl. I am exposed to the views of thousands on mumsnet.

AbigailAdams Tue 22-Jan-13 12:31:04

Ahh that's what's wrong. Women should just stop insulting people. Then we will get freedom from oppression and equality. Naice girls get the rewards, hey?

And really, someone is trying to argue that pimp is not synonymous with violence? Vested interest, much?

rainbowrainbowrainbow Tue 22-Jan-13 13:49:44

I don't think anyone be they male or female insulting someone by swearing at them is necessary or productive.
I think you can put a strong argument across without resorting to chucking insults around. It just seems to cause more hatred and can often shut down a debate, that's what I've often seen on many threads here anyway.

snowiceslush Tue 22-Jan-13 15:53:29

Cow
Bitch

All a bit childish. Sticks and stones. PIG Pretty Intelligent Girl, Cow - Confident Outgoing Woman, Bitch - Leader of the pack. Reminds me of schoolground nonsense.

The word I absolutely loathe and find most offensive is Cunt. It is such an ugly , nasty, vulgar word.

Xenia Tue 22-Jan-13 16:32:11

I don't swear on or off line. It's a sign of a limited vocabulary.

I have never understood why one of the most wonderful things in creation - the vagina or even the penis are used as derogatory terms. The other one people use is gay and old woman or old anything.

There are certainly more anti women uses than anti male/gay etc.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 22-Jan-13 17:07:32

Whilst bastard and arsehole may be used more about men than women, they don't come from a male root (in the way that dickhead or bitch come from a gendered root). It's possible they get used more about men because there are fewer swear words with a male root so these even up the numbers.

I've never heard simian or alpha male used as an insult. Macho is a bit of a teasing word (oh look at him off to the gym for the tenth time this week, he's so macho) but wouldn't be a standalone insult I don't think ( you macho bastard wouldn't seem to flow like, say, you stupid bastard)

Re pimp - never use this, but sometimes say "hardcore" (that hike was really hardcore). though it's an exaggeration of hard in my mind, I should probably stop.

catgirl1976 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:02:52

Bitch is gender neutral to me (except when talking about animals)

Context is key as always though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now