To Megan Fox and other celeb mums - night nurses are a sign of flawed motherhood

(90 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Dec-12 16:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

caramelwaffle Thu 20-Dec-12 16:15:20

That article is beyond spiteful.

Way beyond spiteful.

TheCrackFox Thu 20-Dec-12 16:22:18

I actually thought it was quite refreshing for Megan Fox to publically state she had hired a night nanny. A lot of sleb mums make out they don't have any help at all and are just like every other regular mum (normally have a nanny, housekeeper, chef and millions in the bank) leaving most new mums feeling very inadequate in comparison.

poozlepants Thu 20-Dec-12 16:22:35

I know something worse than not breastfeeding your child Ms Elkin- spouting this ridiculous, inaccurate, nasty judgemental drivel in a national newspaper.
I ebf and I would've bitten someones arm in a second if they'd offered me a nightnurse.

HilaryM Thu 20-Dec-12 16:25:27

That's utterly vile. I'm as pro breast feeding as they come but SHAME on the Independent for publishing such vicious bile.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Dec-12 16:30:21

TheCrackFox Thu 20-Dec-12 16:30:45

Surely, before the industrial revolution and the trend for living as a nuclear family, babies were often looked after aunties/grannies etc? Most women could gave wet nursed a baby over night (or the odd feed) to give a fellow mum a break.

It seems to be a relatively new phenomenon for a mother to spend 24/7 with a baby.

(I might be talking crap though)

SrirachaGirl Thu 20-Dec-12 16:33:46

She's a knob. Megan probably looks the way she does because she practiced good nutrition and fitness during her pregnancy and therefore didn't gain tons of weight to begin with. And she's a youngster...that helps.

I EBF all three of mine but would have happily handed them over to a night nurse if I'd had the means. Sleep trumps everything else.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Dec-12 16:59:19

Scholes34 Thu 20-Dec-12 17:08:39

The author of the article does acknowledge at the start that she's going to be judgmental. If anything, the article serves to highlight how the media can't cope with the natural effects childbirth has on a woman's body and the expectation that a woman instantly looks like pregnancy never happened and should carry on their life like nothing's changed.

Gigondas Thu 20-Dec-12 17:21:34

That's a fair point crack fox. And agree that the article is unhelpful particularly to focus on someone who was honest .

And saying I am going to be judgemental doesn't mean it makes their opinions something you can't criticise .

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 20-Dec-12 17:24:13

I thought that was a disgusting article too - is there a need to spoil someone's first few weeks with a new baby by being snide and rude?

I like the response here:

therealsgm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/in-defence-of-megan-fox.html

MooncupGoddess Thu 20-Dec-12 17:26:13

I like the way she drops in that her babies slept through the night from three months. Because she is such an amazing mother, of course hmm

MooncupGoddess Thu 20-Dec-12 17:28:55

Actually though this is the Indie copying the Mail's lead in getting women to write horrible pieces about famous women, in the hope that lots of other women will get worked up about it, thus increasing their page views.

We should disengage from the whole unpleasant phenomenon.

Chubfuddler Thu 20-Dec-12 17:34:19

Disgusting. Really fucking foul article. Whether ms fox bf her baby, straps it to her in a sling or leaves it with a nanny all night is really no ones business but hers. And I say that as the most ardent bfer going.

cynnerthenaughtyreindeer Thu 20-Dec-12 17:37:18

Thank you do much for the link,LRD..excellent eloquent rebuttal..

GalaxyDisaStar Thu 20-Dec-12 17:41:15

I love your blog post SGM. Pretty much coves everything I could possibly say about that article, far better than I could.

RedTinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 17:42:22

If I had Megan Fox's millions I'd have a nanny for every room in the house.
Does MF say she's not bf? Not that it's anyone else business.

GalaxyDisaStar Thu 20-Dec-12 17:45:58

I suspect she probably isn't, or isn't exclusively. Just because, if the baby is under three months old, you'd surely be up pumping in the night, etc, which kind of cancels out the idea that a night nurse would get you a full night's sleep. More sleep, but not a full night's sleep. However, it is no one's business but theirs.

WitchOfEndor Thu 20-Dec-12 17:58:55

I think the article is very judgemental as many new mums struggle to cope and not all can breast feed successfully so we don't need any extra guilt heaped on mothers heads.

However I think she has a point about celebrity mums setting an example when they are back to pre baby weight straight after the birth. That also puts new mums in a position where they feel they have to look fabulous at a time when there are so many other calls on their time and energy.

Havingkitties Thu 20-Dec-12 18:03:19

That journalist is beyond jealous. You can almost read her spitting her words out in the text of that article.

DoubleYew Thu 20-Dec-12 18:09:49

What Mooncup said, I'm not reading it. They will just fart on about how they are raising important issues for debate to justify being unpleasant.

BOFingSanta Thu 20-Dec-12 18:15:03

Ooh, I read that blog post in ^The New Statesman^- you write really well, SGM.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Dec-12 18:31:40

BOFingSanta Thu 20-Dec-12 18:40:40

Weren't grin

You need me to proofread <hangs on coat tails>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now