pole dancing for fitness

(421 Posts)

in my work i work with very highly qualified academics, i am support staff. they have all recently started these classes and burlesque. I have recently got very interested in the feminism on MN. I am saddened these woman are doing this ,they have everything going for them! Am i wrong? be gentle i am a learner smile

Nigglenaggle Mon 26-Nov-12 21:36:43

Applauds Hardwood

Supermann Tue 27-Nov-12 01:09:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

madwomanintheattic Tue 27-Nov-12 03:13:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

madwomanintheattic Tue 27-Nov-12 03:15:05

Anyway, it's nice to see the visitors, back, eh?

If I'd known you were coming, I'd have baked a cake, etc etc.

AnyFuckingDude Tue 27-Nov-12 10:11:31

Nigglenaggle Tue 27-Nov-12 20:30:46

Gees though guys, read the talk guidelines.... waste of time typing posts no-one will read.... and its probably not helping your blood pressure.

DameMargotFountain Tue 27-Nov-12 20:45:47

'guys' hmm

i'm not a guy, and have a really good idea that many of the feminists here aren't either

<sighs>

AnyFuckingDude Tue 27-Nov-12 21:10:41

My BP is greatly helped by forming succinctly descriptive replies. Thanks for your concern about my health though, it's much appreciated.

Nigglenaggle Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:15

Sorry for the use of guy. It genuinely never crossed my mind anyone would be offended by it.... but the same goes for many of the things put forward in the feminism section! I just feel I must be living in a different world (although in fairness may be in a different country to some of you) when I read some posts.

DameMargotFountain Wed 28-Nov-12 09:13:41

it's just one of MY niggles (no pun intended) that shows how entrenched we have become in male-dominated language grin

Nigglenaggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:41:45

Hehe you may use my name as a pun if you wish :P

Nigglenaggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:42:42

I just see make dominated language as historic - lots of our language has rather odd/different origins.

Nigglenaggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:43:50

*male dammit! <bangs head on keyboard>

Gigabot9k Sat 08-Dec-12 13:11:55

Dr Brooke Magnanti shows that the statistics for an increase of sexual violence around lapdancing clubs are distorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbPYpjZcL8

GetAllTheThings Mon 10-Dec-12 09:40:28

Very interesting talk Gigabot

Mumsnet gets mentioned about three minutes in !

namechangeguy Mon 10-Dec-12 10:02:14

Did the OP ever come back? Did she ever ask the highly intelligent, highly qualified academics what their motivations were? Or are people just happy to read into it whatever suits their agenda?

polerbear Thu 20-Feb-14 12:03:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Thu 20-Feb-14 14:53:58

Interesting first post Polerbear, however if you are trying to drum up business the feminism section is probably not your best bet.

Greythorne Thu 20-Feb-14 14:59:20

polerbear
Do you even know what thread you have posted on? Do you know what FWR stands for?

DontGiveAwayTheHomeworld Thu 20-Feb-14 15:09:49

I think pole fitness would be more akin to circus stuff - I mean, I can imagine similar things being done with ribbons, or a hanging hoop (I've actually seen the hoop stuff, it's incredible!) In that context, I don't see anything wrong with it. It would probably be quite fun, although I don't dare try it due to my distinct lack of coordination.

Pole dancing for the titillation of men is just wrong though.

hellomarmalade Sun 23-Feb-14 00:00:12

I always thought pole dancing sounded really fun blush. It's not fair that drunken perverts got their first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now