help me with crime

(26 Posts)
strawberryblondebint Sun 27-Dec-15 10:17:18

Lol. I have a kindle paperwhite coming soon. I am beyond excited. I have been using the app on my iPhone for ages. I tend to go through phases. Right now I am in a tartan noir Scottish crime police procedural phase. I have done in Ian rankin and ed Mcbain. And Stuart macbride. I have no aversion to trying other crime police stuff. I would prefer Irish or uk though. And I would love someone who has written loads to I can work my way through a series. I am trying mo hayder. I'm on book 3 of the jack caffery but I am finding them a wee bit scary. Who wants to chuck some ideas at me.

PerfidiousPanda Sun 27-Dec-15 10:25:36

Val McDermid

Denise Mina

Matt Bendoris

PerfidiousPanda Sun 27-Dec-15 10:27:36

JK Rowling (not keen on those though)

Karin Slaughter great but US

YeOldeTrout Sun 27-Dec-15 10:28:55

Denise Mina.

PerfidiousPanda Sun 27-Dec-15 10:29:14

Thrillers rather than straight police procedurals - Linwood Barclay and Michael Robotham

PerfidiousPanda Sun 27-Dec-15 10:30:19

(Those aren't Scottish but they're very good!)

YeOldeTrout Sun 27-Dec-15 10:31:33

Stonemouth by Iain Banks if you want a diversion to Scottish gangsters without so much police; lots of plot twists which you get with Banks.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 27-Dec-15 10:31:55

anne cleeves will be right up your street. She wrote the vera stanhope books - north england, says pet alot) really good. she also has similar with shetland isles.

also peter may?? i think. Lewis man.

bookbook Sun 27-Dec-15 10:33:10

James Oswald - Inspector Maclean series
Ann Cleeves
Anne Granger - Mitchell and Markby series
Stephen Booth -Ben Cooper series

FarelyKnuts Sun 27-Dec-15 10:33:49

Irish- try Ken Bruen, Gene Kerrigan or Tana French

Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:38:07

Frost series by R D Wingfield - brilliant - the banter in them is superb

Cocolepew Sun 27-Dec-15 10:40:34

Peter James
Mark Billingham

magimedi Sun 27-Dec-15 10:52:10

Quentin Jardine - The Skinner series is all Edinburgh & there are lots of them.

Susan Hill - Serrallier series.

PrimeDirective Sun 27-Dec-15 11:12:43

Michael Robotham

Christopher Brookmyre

strawberryblondebint Sun 27-Dec-15 11:12:48

You lot are brilliant. I am setting up a wish list as we speak. I'm so excited. Keep them coming

magimedi Sun 27-Dec-15 11:31:55

I know you say you prefer UK/Irish but try a Donna Leon - 24 books in the series, all set in Venice.

The earlier ones are the best - Brunetti is a lovely detective, not an alcoholic or woman hater!!

Don't forget you can download a sample of any book onto your Kindle, for free & it will usually give you the first & sometimes second chapters so you can try things1

Quogwinkle Sun 27-Dec-15 12:52:57

If you're up for some London noir, then Tony Parsons is writing a series - there's two so far, third due next year I think. The first one is The Murder Bag, second The Slaughter Man. Very dark, and a bit scary, but very good. J K Rowling has three in her Cormoran Strike series - have read these and recommend them.

FiveShelties Mon 28-Dec-15 10:34:21

I keep recommending Peter Robinson and his Inspector Banks' series - excellent books. I think there are around 20 in the series.

BestIsWest Mon 28-Dec-15 13:53:33

Great recommendations above, particularly Ann Cleeves and Susan Hill
Also
Kate Atkinson
Belinda Bauer
Elly Griffiths.

Not tried the Tony Parsons Quog, thanks for the rec.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 28-Dec-15 14:38:44

If you're in a tartan noir phase, Christopher Brookmyre's your man.

Quogwinkle Mon 28-Dec-15 15:05:10

Seconding Best's recommendation of Belinda Bauer. She wrote a trilogy of novels set on Exmoor which are brilliant - Blacklands is the first one and is superb.

BestIsWest Mon 28-Dec-15 17:14:52

Blacklands was one of my reads of this year. Have yet to read the others. A treat for 2016.

cdtaylornats Mon 28-Dec-15 21:57:39

The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May is excellent

Shop Thu 31-Dec-15 12:15:01

Luke Delaney - Sean Corrigan series
John Connolly - Charlie Parker

Debsmumof3 Fri 01-Jan-16 15:43:15

Love love love Cormoron Strike. Third one is the best. Due to be a bbc adaptation soon.
So... Who should play the lead parts? I quite fancy Idris Elba. But heard JK wants an 'unknown' cast. Maybe Luther is too much like Cormoron in a way. What about Robin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now