Homemade popcorn advice-popper or microwave....

(11 Posts)
evelynj Wed 30-Apr-14 20:49:22

Hi all

As the title suggests, what is the best way to make it at home? I'm addicted to metcalfes skinny salted popcorn-off to get my 2nd bag of the night but would love love love to be able to make it nearly as well myself.

I did try it in the saucepan and was ok but quite a few unpopped bits. Not sure whether to invest in an air popper or microwave container or something else....

GreenMonth Wed 30-Apr-14 20:52:02

An air popper is very easy to use and makes perfect, oil-free popcorn really quickly. The big downside is it's really loud, like a hairdryer but louder. I've never tried the microwave.

CointreauVersial Wed 30-Apr-14 21:08:35

Microwave is so easy and cheap, unless you are a complete fanatic.

StandsOnGoldenSands Wed 30-Apr-14 21:10:56

Pan with a lid ?

Heavy based frying pan with tight fitting glass lid is my weapon of choice.

FrontForward Wed 30-Apr-14 21:13:14

I used to use a pan and lid but DD1 bought me microwave bags of it. Yum! ...until the night it caught fire and stunk the house out. Acrid smoke and blackening of microwave. The stench lasted days. Never again

evelynj Thu 01-May-14 14:51:21

Oh crikey, the microwave fire sounds a bit scary.

Will mull over the air popper then-Am hoping if I can't do it before to spray in fry light & salt afterwards, does that work?

The saucepan seemed to take ages & just be ok at best-tastes a wee bit burnt & was a lot of non popped kernels.

I have a whirly popper which is fantastic. Not sure if you can get them over there www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=whirley+pop&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527169170&ref=pd_sl_4yougfa1tt_bb

feetheart Thu 01-May-14 14:54:06

Best ever camping game - popcorn in a wok over an open fire with mugs to catch it grin
<<probably not helpful, sorry>>

Lobbing Wed 07-May-14 22:57:47

Like Travelin, I use a pan with glass lid. Enough oil to coat bottom of pan thickly, thin layer of kernels, but can still see pan bottom, heat a little above simmer. Wait for the popping to stop.

evelynj Fri 09-May-14 15:28:55

Thanks all-was hoping to avoid using oil but will maybe try to just use a small spoon & then fry light. How do you salt it-after all popped & with table salt rather than salt crystal thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now