10,000 steps a day challenge. Anyone want to join me?

(65 Posts)
GoogleIsBad Thu 20-Feb-14 15:48:33

I've been trying to lose weight and also get a bit healthier. I've lost about a stone and a half, would ideally like to lose another one and a half. Have been trying to eat healthier and loosely following slimming world. I'm at a bit of a standstill weight wise so I thought I'd aim to increase my exercise see if I can shift some more weight that way.

So yesterday I bought a pedometer and I am going to aim for 10,000 steps a day. I'll also try to combine this with other exercise when I can.

Today so far I've done 7000. Would anyone like to join me and check in with progress or encouragement? smile

Iwasagnome Wed 26-Feb-14 18:59:23

Amazing my pedometer has dried out in the rice so pleased-yay!
I did walk down to town today , round the town and up the hill (phew!) back again so think that would have been 10,000 ok based on previous experience
See you all tomorrow

sunbathe Wed 26-Feb-14 20:13:51

That's brilliant, Iwas. Glad it's working again.

sunbathe Thu 27-Feb-14 15:39:20

C

sunbathe Thu 27-Feb-14 15:40:41

Currently on 5,760. Hope to make it today. May have to get the wii out later.

How's everyone doing?

Iwasagnome Thu 27-Feb-14 15:46:34

4752 so far oh dear
Sitting in cafe at garden centre didn't help!

Only done 2196 so far. Just about to go to Ikea though so will rack up loads there!

Anyone know of a decent (free) iPhone app which counts your steps?

We got pedometers in work but they are rather shite (I've a 15 min walk from the train, it told me I'd done 2, yes a whole 2 steps yesterday morning). I'm not the only one having issues with it, so its not just me!

Tried Footsteps Free - it seemed to top out at 3,000 steps the other day and wouldn't restart that day.

PamHalpert Thu 27-Feb-14 20:30:38

I've done 12,109 so far today and for the first time ever, all the tiles on the fitbit dashboard are green and say champ grin

Sorry OnTheBottom, I don't know of any. Hopefully someone who does will be along soon.

GoogleIsBad Thu 27-Feb-14 22:00:32

Glad the rice trick worked!

After a rubbish day yesterday I've got 10100 today. Will try to reach 10000+ again tomorrow as I always seem to do much worse at the weekend smile

GoogleIsBad Thu 27-Feb-14 22:03:12

Sorry meant to say I've tried a few of the free iphone apps but they didn't seem to register properly.

Map my walk will give you distance walked and is quite accurate but really drains the battery. 10000 steps is roughly 5 miles.

Iwasagnome Thu 27-Feb-14 22:48:05

Ashamed to report 5866
Must do better!

LakeFlyPie Thu 27-Feb-14 22:57:32

I like the idea of 10000 steps but fear that I may talk myself into buying a Fitbit yet another MN inspired purchase

Can anyone persuade me to buy a cheaper reliable pedometer or convince me I really need a Fitbit grin
I'd be really interested to see how work days (I think I have quite an active job) compare to school run days.
Do you need to measure stride length for using a pedometer?
Will it measure all upstanding activity (so to speak) e.g. any exercise based jumping about like exercise DVDs etc?

Iwasagnome Fri 28-Feb-14 05:23:43

I've only just heard of Fitbit-it seems expensive---would be interested to know more about it
I use a Weight Watchers pedometer ,it's reasonably easy to set up and I got it when it was reduced
However I used to have one which was free from Special K
I have another one which was free through my local paper .Ive lost the instructions so will have to figure out how it works!
With the WW one I just keep it in my jeans pocket, the clip isn't very safe the pedometer tends to fall off!

11,500 yesterday (in and out of work is about 4,000, did an hour and ten mins walk in the evening)

Worked out that the crap pedometer works if you put a big safety pin on your waist and clip it to that - it gives it a little more movement, but it is more likely to stay on.

I've 2,500 so far today, and will get the same going home.

After work am heading to meet DD and we are going out, in a place that's a good 20 mins walk from where we meet - fingers crossed that activity covers about 5.000 steps (because I WILL be having wine so I am not doing an extra walk at 11pm at night to make up any shortfall!)

GoogleIsBad Fri 28-Feb-14 13:31:33

I do really like my fitbit, although I have only had it for just over a week. I have the fitbit one. I like that it syncs to my phone and I can see my activity and dashboard on there too.

I also use the band at night to monitor my sleep and I find that quite interesting to see when i wake, but I don't think there is any real benefit of this for me grin

I bought mine from a seller on ebay for half price, and it was brand new, but there are (or were the other week when I was looking) lots selling for half price or so that had only been used for a week or similar short periods of time.

Today I have done 4000, which was a walk into work and around the office etc, I will walk home and potter about the shops for a bit, so hopefully I wont have to do too much tonight to get me to the magic 10,000!

sunbathe Fri 28-Feb-14 22:32:47

Phew! Just managed the 10,000. Walking and running round the house to get the last couple of thousand in. Feel shattered.

Iwas - I like my fitbit for the alarm too. It vibrates on your wrist. I found it really effective for waking me up. I also log how much water I drink too. That's made me more conscious of how little I drink and now I make an effort to drink more.

Iwasagnome Sat 01-Mar-14 22:57:48

That's very keen of you
I forgot to use my pedometer until late morning and it's saying 5728 now so even if I guesstimate another 2000 it's not very good!
Time to up my game and make a bit more effort methinks

WholeNutt Sun 02-Mar-14 08:11:24

Count me in! I'm going to get a fitbit today, which should I get? I'm looking at the fitbit zip activity tracker rather than the wristband.

Fairyneuf Sun 02-Mar-14 08:34:24

Count me in too. Another Fitbit user here.

I've had it since December and it certainly works as an incentive to get moving. Although I've recently discovered I can jog my 10000 steps and then sit and mumsnet for the rest of the afternoon!

sunbathe Sun 02-Mar-14 09:40:32

The fitbit zip looks cool. I wanted the wristband as it's simple, and for the alarm function.

Tiredemma Sun 02-Mar-14 09:43:37

Are fitbits expensive?

sunbathe Sun 02-Mar-14 10:29:48

The fitbit flex is about £80. Not sure about the other types.

Amandaclarke Sun 02-Mar-14 11:57:18

OntheBottom - I use Endomondo on my iphone, it doesn't so much track steps but tracks miles and a mile is roughly 1,000 steps. This is useful if you are doing one walk a day like me, I walk my dog and try and do 3.5-4 miles and then I would hope that general moving about would bring that up to 5 miles or 10,000 steps.

WholeNutt Sun 02-Mar-14 13:50:07

I'm in! Just bought my fitbit zip, set it up and it says I've used 729 calories..how is that possible when I've only just set it up?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now