Weaning routine 6-12months

(4 Posts)
FondantFancy66 Fri 05-Feb-16 08:11:28

Hi,

My twins are now 20 weeks, so starting to think ahead to weaning. At the moment they have 6oz formula every 3-4 hours. I know I'm not meant to cut milk at first, but when do I fit in the food? It feels like they'll be eating every hour! They're fully bottle fed and we'll be starting with purees rather than BLW. What routine are/were your little ones in at this stage?

Thanks!

HelloCanYouHearMe Sat 06-Feb-16 09:48:11

My DS is approaching 7 months and at times it does feel as though all im doing is giving a bottle, feeding or putting him down for a nap!!

Before weaning, he would take 5 6oz bottles every 3.5/4 hours. Now, the day looks like this:

630 - 7oz bottle
8 - porridge
9 - nap
1030 - 5oz bottle
1230 - nap
130 - lunch
2 - 5oz bottle
330 - nap (sometimes!)
430 - dinner and pud
6 - 6oz bottle
645 - teeth clean, wrestling match nappy change
7 - bed

Food is purees and DS loves to feed himself, although his aim can be slightly off and his nose gets fed on occassion!

I have found that since starting him on purees and introducing more meals, he is cutting down on his milk - no longer wakes at 930pm for a bottle and regularly leaves anything from 0.5 - 2oz of his other milk feeds, whereas before he would finish or leave a tiny amount of milk.

I started with breakfast for a week, then introduced lunch too for 2 weeks and now we're on 3 meals a day.

Things will change when he starts to drop his naps - hopefully we'll have more time to play!

comeagainforbigfudge Mon 08-Feb-16 10:45:35

When i first started weaning my dd i just slotted it in whenever i could. One puree meal a day. Took a few weeks before ahe started actual realising it was food and to eat it 😂

Once she realised, i then started increasing meals to breakfast and dinner. Then introduced finger foods at lunch time.

Shes 8 months now and our rough schedule is

0730 - 6oz bottle
0830 - weetabix or shreddies
1000 - nap
12.00 - lunch (finger foods)
1pm- 7oz bottle
2pm - nap
Fruit snack once awake
5.30 - dinner
7pm 7oz bottle

She gets sippy cup of water at every meal and although ive put times down we are quite flexible with it all.

Hth

NickyEds Mon 08-Feb-16 15:05:57

It will feel like they're eating every hour at first! With ds I meticulously planned the day so that he had tastes of food no less than an hour after milk etc. i think he was 8.5 months before he dropped any milk at all. With dd I've just plonked her in a high chair and fed her whenever ds eats! She's not quite 7 months yet (so we've been weaning for 4 weeks) and I really struggle to get any milk down her at all during the day. She's just taken to it really well. Just give half a weetabix an hour after their first bottle of the day for a bit then just some food whenever you have some!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now