Weaning at 20 weeks - advice please

(27 Posts)
larlemucker Thu 09-May-13 19:49:00

My DS is a nightmare sleeper and feeds all night. Last time he was weighed he was 14lb 9oz (he was 16.5 weeks), he is due to get weighed tomorrow.

The HV has suggested introducing a tea at 20 weeks to see if he will sleep better.

I don't know what to do as I'm getting conflicting advice. HV, DSis and friends say 20 weeks. Books, breast feeding councillor, NHS say 6 months.

What do I do? (First time mum btw!)

Nicknamefail Mon 13-May-13 12:15:39

Just finished reading the test of the thread.
I have a boob monster Bd I used to offer both boobs and manually squeeze more on. Now I just do this at the bedtime feed, as recommended by a couple of friends. The thought is that dd wants the boob to get to sleep, and if she gets a big feed as well, she gets used to this. I now only give dd one boob at night and she feeds and then sucks to sleep. This has improved her night wakings (although still wakes a lot). Weaning made things worse for us for 2 weeks then back to usual btw.

lazzaroo Mon 13-May-13 18:38:26

I have decided I am going to wean before 6 months. (I think I did with dd1, can't actually remember!!). not doing it to help with sleep in particular, because I doubt it will, but because I think my DD is ready. Guidelines are guidelines after all & there is also recent research (published in British Medical Journal) to suggest that ebf babies should be weaned earlier.

Take all the advice on board, but you decide what is best for your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now