Any reason not to give dried fruit to 7 month old??

(10 Posts)
Littlecherublegs Tue 30-Apr-13 22:25:58

I have been giving my 7 month old raisins - I didnt think anything (bad) of it and he loves them!

I must admit I do find it more difficult to find easy healthy snacks / finger food, esp. for 'on the go'. I give him things like bread sticks and rice cakes and bits of fruit & veg, but he does also get the occassional biscuit (Ella's Kitchen ones) or corn/maize snacks (Organix) which I dont think can be particularly healthy???!! hmm

Any healthy alternatives wouldbe much appreciated!!

Nancy54 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:41:38

ok thansk for the advice dystopian

DystopianReality Mon 22-Apr-13 15:34:38

Dried fruit is as bad for teeth as giving sweets, it's pure sugar, fills them up with sugar, take their appetite away, gives them a sugar rush and rots their deveoping teeth, not to speak of encouraging a sweet tooth. Yes there is some fibre in them, fine if they're constipated, otherwise give them the widest berth you can.

Nancy54 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:27:51

Yeah I more thinking of adding dried abricot purred to apple and stuff

FattyMcChubster Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:29

Do they have quite a high sugar content? I'd just keep an eye on portion sizes and obviously the size/choking issue

they are more of a choking hazard due to their size and shape (similar to peanuts I suppose) so if you give them stay close and montior how they are getting on with them. I think my two were around 9/10 months when they first had them

birdofthenorth Mon 22-Apr-13 08:19:06

I gave it earlier -maybe 9 months- but there were some swollen non-chewed raisins in her nappy!

Nancy54 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:16:41

ok, thank you!

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 11:55:28

Mine had dried fruit from 6mths just be careful as its not great for teeth so have with a meal and drink of water.

Nancy54 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:48:24

i live in france and they are rather anal cautious about all things baby related. They say not to give dried friut such as abricot or raisins until a year at least. I can't really find any reason for this apart from the fact that some dried friut contains a lot of fibre so could be difficult to digest. Do people in the uk give dried fruit from 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now