Weaning a vegan baby?

(118 Posts)

Anyone else vegan?
We are newly vegan and DS is 8.5 mo. I am just looking for ideas of finger foods as the general ones seem to be cheese, ham etc...

He will have veg sticks but want to make sure he gets more than this, he used to have what we were eating just pureed but hates being fed now and wants to do it himself...hence the struggle!

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 14:56:50

I definitely did supplement while pg and bf (was veggy not vegan though then)

pianomama Thu 28-Mar-13 15:15:49

Did you supplement DHA as well which is really important for baby's brain development? Vitamin A? B12? B6? Carnitine? Iron? A list goes on and on.
Do you have medical training to state on public forum that vegan diet is suitable for young babies /children ?

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:23:39

I supplemented yes I did. and no, I have no medical knowledge whatsoever. my midwifes and nurses, doctors and lactation experts did however and they were very happy with mine and DC diets and that was in the USA and UK. are you a medical professiinal piano? if you are I'm sure you will agree that a medical degree does not come with a set of opinions on everything, and that while some doctors are against vegetarian diets many are also against meat based diets and offer vegetarianism as a way of decreasing your risk for diabetes cancer and other illnesses.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:25:53

also added dha is standard in a lot of milk replacement products now anyway. My babies get it in their soymilk because they are also dairy free.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:26:42

babies are 1 and 2.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 28-Mar-13 15:32:56

OP if you read my post you will have seen that I know by name where my eggs come from and consider that a more ethical choice than the most ethically sourced fish. It isnt black and white by any means.

Viviennemary Thu 28-Mar-13 15:34:42

I would be very worried a vegan diet would not be suitable for a small child and it would leave the child deficient in essential vitamins and nutrients. I would certainly seek advice from a health visitor, doctor or dietician before embarking on this.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:35:56

good point smoulder, also some people keep their own chickens as well.

pianomama Thu 28-Mar-13 15:36:26

Note the difference - we are talking about vegan diet for young baby - no milk, butter, eggs or meat - and no nuts in his case.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:38:07

are quail eggs inherently more nutritious than chicken eggs i.e. have they only been mentioned because this is mumsnet?wink (genuine question though)

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:38:53

but she is bf piano.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:40:06

dunno where the i.e. came from confused

pianomama Thu 28-Mar-13 15:40:13

They may be useful for some people intolerant to chicken eggs.

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:44:18

oh ok,

drwitch Thu 28-Mar-13 15:44:36

can i be a "naiceatarian"; i only eat naice and poncey food

SatsukiKusukabe Thu 28-Mar-13 15:45:24

sure there is a ham thread for you some where

showtunesgirl Thu 28-Mar-13 15:46:06

drwitch I am one of those. blush

drwitch Thu 28-Mar-13 15:58:33

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now