Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which tablet/s are most suitable for age 7 and 10?

(11 Posts)
nothingnew Wed 10-Jul-13 20:07:38

Ipads are too expensive for such ages in my opinions especially if they already have a laptop each (not touch screen). So looking around for tablet for them so that they can tablets to play games, read books, internet and which iplayer while in or out and about. Have you wise lady any recommendations.

nothingnew Wed 10-Jul-13 20:09:10

apologies for typos but hopefully you understand my post.

concernedchild123 Wed 24-Jul-13 00:28:23

Take my advice, don't get them a tablet. Buy them each a penknife and get them outside in the real world carving sticks and making bows and arrows and stick dens etc. that's what 7-10 year olds should be doing. Not being stuck inside playing on a tablet/ laptop.

stormedmentor Mon 09-Sep-13 17:43:24

Buy them a iPad or Galaxy Tab either one will be great !

GameHub Tue 10-Sep-13 14:57:57

Tablet computers are expensive because of the amount of technology that goes into getting them to function. As a general rule, the smaller the computer, the more expensive it becomes, as you need to engineer around important issues, particularly over-heating and short-curcuits.

I can point you in the direction of a couple of <£100 tablets, but I cannot "actively" recommend them to you, as I have not tested them personally. Be advised that they may not offer the level of functionality and features you were perhaps hoping for, as they are very basic, but they can be loaded with low intensity games and books. For BBC iPlayer or web access, you will need to be in range of a wifi signal, which precludes, for example, watching TV in the back of the car on long journeys.

ATTAB 4.3" , Versus TouchTab 7 or 7V are three possibilities if you are committed to the tablet approach. However, at 7 & 10yo, your children are likey approaching the age at which they are interested in owning a smartphone, and these tablets are really nothing else than overly-large, possibly technically inferior smartphones.

Have you considered a handheld games console, such as the Nintendo DS family of devices? These have a wide range of games, and offer something completly differenent to a tablet/smartphone/computer, which are all essentially the same basic device, with variation in size and complexity. I think a handheld games console would be an ideal complement to their laptops, offering something different and new, and would grow up with them over time, giving you a better "play-return" on your investment.

Hope that helps with your research and please feel free to come back and ask additional questions!

hazeldawn1979 Sat 02-Nov-13 16:19:46

My dh has just gone to collect ds who's 6 Christmas present. He wanted an iPad buy he's getting a hudl and seems more than happy with the idea he knows that I'd what father Christmas had said he can have but he won't get much else and he seems more than happy

hazeldawn1979 Sat 02-Nov-13 18:24:57

My dh has just gone to collect ds who's 6 Christmas present. He wanted an iPad buy he's getting a hudl and seems more than happy with the idea he knows that I'd what father Christmas had said he can have but he won't get much else and he seems more than happy

BetterDrownedThanDuffers Sat 02-Nov-13 18:42:32

Dd has a Nexus 7. I am really impressed with it. She uses the Kindle App, watches You Tube, plays games etc. She is 9. And as it runs on Android we can share the apps on my phone.

BetterDrownedThanDuffers Sat 02-Nov-13 18:44:08

Though it is linked to my Google account and once she did send out "Let bake cupcakes" or some such via an app to every person (including work contacts) on my contact list.

my 2 have the samsung galaxy tab 2 tablets and they seem good. They have plenty of games, dd has the kindle app on hers, etc

Galaxy tab 2 is £99 in asda atm I think.

Either that or a nexus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now