Edinburgh festival

(18 Posts)
jenny77 Mon 15-Jul-13 19:59:57

Going for a few days to Edinburgh with my family (husband and girls 5 and 3). We are on a serious budget but are staying in the middle of town during the festivalgrin. Can anyone recommend any good shows or places to go for evening meals with small kids. Hoping good advice will keep the holiday stress freewinkshock.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 21-Jul-13 13:15:13

Have you tried Mn local jenny?

There's a whole children's section in the fringe programme, and loads of good authors at the book festival, which runs at the same time. You'll be able to book most things on the day - although prob not book fest events - and you won't find a shortage of eating places, unless you're going high-end, in which case you'll need to book.

It's great fun - I go across most weekends for the festival.

BeaWheesht Sun 21-Jul-13 13:19:47

What dates are you there? 5th and 6th of August have a lot of BOGOF on a lot of shows. Go to https://www.edfringe.com/ for details of everything that's on.

Book tickets in advance if there's something you especially want to see.

There is usually a hut on princes street selling half price tickets on the day for certain shows.

What my kids love is walking down the royal mile and watching the acts there. Also if its rainy the national museum f Scotland is just 2 minutes away on chambers street and is brilliant for kids.

When mine were little, we mostly just watched the street theatre acts and it only costs only what you want to donate. There is loads to do in Edinburgh - the museum mentioned above is free. You need to have a bogle about on-line to see if there are any particular events you want to go to. Book Festival is brilliant and really nice atmosphere. There is a play park at the west end of princes street gardens and for eating, Jimmy chungs chinese is a fixed price buffet and very reasonable - think your 3 year old might even eat free. Nice Italians at Tollcross (west end - up Lothian Road).

Have Fun !!

Look up Greyfriars Bobby story and then go and visit his statue at the top of Chambers street while you are at the museum, there is also the Museum of Childhod and national story telling centre too

There is Wetherspoons in the Omni centre at the top of Leith Walk - East end of Princes street and they are always good value - Nice Italians at the top of Leith walk too which are always good with kids

jenny77 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:45:22

Thanks! I forgot about Greyfriers Bobby! Looks like it won't be hard to entertain ourselves. Are there tour busses? My kids are hicks and they would love something like that.

jenny77 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:46:59

We are there 11th to the 14th.

Yes, there are tour buses - you can pick them up probably anywhere along Princes street, but they start at east entrance of Waverley train station mostly. Probably a good way to start yourself off and get your bearings. There is also a Jimmy Chungs there smile You also might like Dynamic Earth which is down by Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament Building. I haven't been to Camera Obscura, but it's meant to be well worth a visit too. These place cost money tho and there is loads of free stuff to do.

Other things that cost are The Royal Yacht Britannica and of course the Zoo. Botanic Gardens are free if that's your thing and of course if you go from the East Princes street Garden to the West, at the stairs down after crossing The Mound, there is the Flower Clock which I always loved to go see as a child.

You can walk round Holyrood park, up Arthurs seat and I think there is a pond with swans to feed if I remember rightly.

The Royal Commonwealth pool has been refurbished too but it is a normal pool - albeit huge - but no waves/waterslides etc. It has a diving pool tho.

Anyway, hope you have a fab time and if I think of anything else I'll let you know smile

jenny77 Fri 26-Jul-13 12:25:24

I am so excited. Think we will start off with the bus and find an Italian at Leith walk then become more adventurous on day 2. Thanks for all your help!

FIFIBEBE Fri 26-Jul-13 12:33:13

Your little one may be a bit young but try and see James Campbell. He is a great comedian for children and adults.

greenfern Fri 26-Jul-13 12:36:57

Definitely do the bus tour it gives you so much info about Edinburgh. Loads of free entertainment around the High Street.

Edinburgh is buzzing this time of the year its has great atmosphere.

Hope you have a great time.

BeaWheesht Fri 26-Jul-13 12:55:54

Camera obscura is brilliant. Ds first went at 3 and loved it.

Unlurked Fri 26-Jul-13 12:58:52

Camera obscura is really good, as is dynamic earth.

There's free stuff on at the children's book festival every day too. My kids love seeing the street performers on the royal mile as well as going to actual shows. And of course when you get to the top of the royal mile you're almost at the castle!

3nationsfamily Tue 30-Jul-13 13:08:29

For Italians on Leith walk it has to be either Vittorias or La Favorita (Pizza speciality) both owned by the same family and great food/value/ family friendly. Vittoria Group

3 nations, Vittorias, that's the one I was trying to think of, it's been a bit since we were out and about in Edinburgh and I couldn't remember the name. smile

jenny77 Thu 15-Aug-13 21:01:06

Well...thank you for all the advice! Camera Obscura was fab. Very entertaining (children running full pelt into mirrors without a tear). Don't under any circumstances stay in room 508 at the Carlton Hotel though, unless you want to have your brain baked over night. Disgustingly hot room!sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now