Who the fuck dumps there horse in MY field

(395 Posts)
MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 20:26:34

So ive gone down to let my horses in tonight, and there is an extra fucking horse in my field. I know its not mine. I know it wasnt there at 7:30 this morning. I know its been put in because the lock is cut off. CUT off. Theve cut my padlock off to put an additional horse IN!! IN!!

It went crazy when I took mine in to the stables, so I had no choice. Hes now in a stable with a haynet.

Ive rang round locally and noone appears willing to claim him. Ive rang the police, and theve advised me to put un an abandonement notice telling whoever owns him they have 14 days to shift him, before he becomes mine, and apparently hes my legal responsibility in the meantime because hes on my land.

WTF do I do now?

Marne Fri 16-Nov-12 21:17:14

I was going to say the same 'he doesn't look like a travellers horse', more of a race yard horse, maybe a x-race horse (but if he was he would be chipped or freeze marked?). We have a farm near us who breeds horses for food (lovely horses like the picture above) sad.

toomuch2young Fri 16-Nov-12 21:18:32

Oh god that's awful. Are you anywhere near Madeley?
May know of someone who would snap him up.

Willabywallaby Fri 16-Nov-12 21:19:10

Could he be stolen and they've dumped him with you until they move him on?

alwaysGOLD Fri 16-Nov-12 21:19:14

Oh my! What a shock for you, good looking horse though.

I hope you find his owner/or a new home for him.
It quite sad that people do this sad

MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 21:22:34

Ha well if it is some type of fly grazing / field squatter type person theyll have a shock if they turn up to get him tonight as hes not there. Hes in the stable yard, and unless they are willing to set off the alarms, come through the metal gates, face attack dog to get him they are going to have to leave him where he is. grin

I wonder if maybe they thought mine were out 24/7 as they are native breeds, but one of them is like a million years old so she comes in at night, and the others come in with her because everyone likes a bucket of food

Im just trying to decide whether to print off the abandonment notice or leave it for a few days and see what happens

On the plus side if they are fly grazing and keeping an eye on him, that should make them move him, but if hes been dumped then ive got to decide what to do with him.

Alameda Fri 16-Nov-12 21:23:35

that's so sad, poor horse, am going to imagine a tragic tale of some sort behind these events

obviously annoying and potentially £££ for you (what if he gets ill or injured?) but can you imagine dumping one of your horses like that?

What a crazy situation. Poor you and poor horse

If they did do the squatting thing would the fact that the padlock was deliberately broken have any bearing (no idea of legalities)

lisad123 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:25:05

I have heard of travellers doing this too sad
They must have known what they were doing to come with bolt cutters! confused
I hope his chipped but betting his not.

Someone abandoned chickens overnight at my mum's once - she went out and found double the number! Much easier to accommodate though...

Alameda Fri 16-Nov-12 21:27:09

are you tempted to sit on him at all, got any tack that might fit?

tazzle22 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:28:05

this happened in a field near me earlier this year... not travellers and the woman whos field he was in did manage to rehome the horse luckily.

Agree that horse and hound forum can be a great place to find a home when rescues are full to splitting.

Isn't it just awful though that we can be held responsible for an animal left on our property is we choose not to put it out on the road in danger ..... no doubt thats what the people abandoned leaving them do it.

I have two horses and neither of them spring chickens ... sounds "cruel" but in current economic climate I would prob pts the eldest if we became unable to feed and look after her rather than abandon her. Its called taking responsibility when all else fails.

I hope you can find a good home for him ML

Selks Fri 16-Nov-12 21:29:24

It's really sad, poor horse. He may have been someone's much loved pet who just couldn't afford to look after him and, seeing that you take good care of your horses felt in desperation that you might care for him sad.

Dead inconvenient for you of course. I do hope that you find a good outcome for him; please don't let him become pet food!

MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 21:32:11

See I know of stories of travellers using fields and then moving on, but I would have thought that if it was travellers there would be more than one
horse IYSWIM?

I suppose either they do it regularly and carry bolt cutters with them or they have cased me out and brought bolt cutters, but the latter just seems a bit much to give me a horse, rather than steal my worthless ones.

Re deliberate padlock cutting, no because nothing has been stolen and I cannot prove that the person that .. urm ... delivered the extra horse broke the padlock.

Alameda I cannot imagine dumping one of mine. I know times are tight. They are for me too, and the only reason I have still got my ponies is because they are kept on my own land. If I had to livery them I would not be able to afford them. I have however a fund to pay for their destruction in the horrible event that I am ever in a position where I cannot keep them, nor find somewhere suitable for them to go. The very least I owe them is to make sure that if I cannot look after them, and I cannot find someone else to have them, that they "go" in the best way possible. However touch wood everything will be OK! One of them is 30+ so to be honest this is going to be the last home she ever has .. she certainly wont be dumped in someone elses field to sort out!

RandomMess Fri 16-Nov-12 21:34:03

Just back from the donkey sanctuary today, they are inundated at the moment because people just can't afford them anymore sad

edam Fri 16-Nov-12 21:34:37

wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as horse squatting, that's bizarre. So you can own a horse, dump it in someone else's field, and that person has to feed and water and look after them and you can keep turning up when they are out so the horse doesn't become their property to dispose of as they wish (re-home, keep for themselves or worse)? That's mad. I can see that the law has to put animal welfare first but still.

MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 21:37:01

willie I had a dog dumped here. We kept her, which to be fair I knew I would the first night she was here! She was also lovely, a horse is just so much more though.

alameda Unfortunately no. our existing ponies are shetlands, and 13h cross of some sort of weirdness. Hes definately 16hh. The biggest saddle ive got used to belong to our old 15.2 mare so its closeish ... ive got a bridle though grin

Alameda Fri 16-Nov-12 21:42:57

haha I dare you!

wonder how old he is?

oh poor thing, he must miss his own herd and humans sad wish you were in east Anglia

Whojamaflip Fri 16-Nov-12 21:43:38

We had this happen a couple of years back - went to get the cos in for milking and there was this most gorgeous mare in the field with them thought Christmas had come early. Brought her in as she was going nuts when we took the cows out.

Turned out that she had been stolen from 2 counties away - owners had plastered her photo over the net, local area and basically made her that hot to handle that they got rid rather than be done for theft.

I contacted the police, Blue Cross, RSPCA, Horse Watch, local hunt, local pony club, Redwings etc in case she had been reported and she had - cue one very happy and relieved owner.

Might be an idea to give the above a shout in case yours has been liberated from elsewhere.

Kormachameleon Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:39

Ooooh how old do you think he is ?

Pixel Fri 16-Nov-12 21:56:46

My sister once came home to find she had an extra rabbit but this is a bit different!
Actually I've read on some american forums that this sort of thing has been happening a lot, only people park up their trailer/box while they go off for a lovely trail ride, and when they come back there is a strange horse in it and no one else in sight.
Do you think it's worth contacting the local papers? Someone might have noticed that their recently bankrupt neighbour's big brown horse is no longer there.

Pixel Fri 16-Nov-12 21:59:10

I'd get him checked for a chip asap. If he is stolen and has a chip it might be why he was dumped.

MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 22:04:39

Ill try ringing round some horse organisations then tomorrow in case hes been stolen from far away. Hes definately not from within the immediate area, so ill give some horse feed places a bell and ask them to put a note up and see what happens.

Its barrelling it down with rain here now, ive just been out to check on him the nags, and hes flat out literally lying down in the shavings! He gave me a little whinney, got up, headbutted me and then ignored me! Mine just ignored me. I know who is getting the treats tomorrow and it aint mine!

As to age, im shit at age horses, but id guess hes got to be somewhere between 5 and 10 maybe. I cant see him being loads older that that.

lisad123 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:08:07

There are loads of post on horse and hound about lost and stolen ponies, maybe leave a post there too.

Alameda Fri 16-Nov-12 22:09:46

aw, he sounds lovely

don't know what's worse - imagining his bereft owner if he's been stolen or imagining him being abandoned

maybe I should watch black beauty and revel in the sentimentality for a while

please keep us posted!

MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 22:15:56

See i just figured hed been dumped to be honest, which is why I was pissed off about it. I hate the thought that hes actually someones much beloved horse and has been dumped because he cant be sold on.

Ill give my vet a ring tomorrow and for him to be checked for a microchip because fingers crossed that might resolve the problem!

I shall let you all know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now