2 or 5 stage vetting.......what would you do??

(32 Posts)
razzdazz Sun 28-Oct-12 14:13:46

Hello, I have just found a lovely little mare that I would like to buy and will be arranging her vetting this week. She is a 5 year old cob that I will be using for hacking and weekly/fortnightly lessons (due to her age). No interest in hunting, competitions and so on, mainly as I am not brave enough blush. What stage vetting would you mumsnetters be having?? I will be paying £4000 for her. She will be blood tested with both options.
Thanks for any wisdom you may have.

Gilbertus Thu 05-Sep-13 09:54:48

ok I have paid £4k for ponies but they've been 'proven' iyswim. If I was paying 4k I would get a 5* vetting if only to put my own mind at rest. The only cobs I've ever seen for sale for 4k+ are on that crazy website where they buy young cheap cobs, do clever marketing then sell them on for a crzy markup *disclaimer this is my opinion only

Backinthebox Thu 05-Sep-13 10:01:18

Have a scan down here. There are a couple cheaper than 4k, but they are lower quality horses. There is nothing wrong with wanting a nice-natured, nice-looking, conformationally correct, professionally school horse for hacking, and that costs £££££.

CairngormsClydesdale Thu 05-Sep-13 18:05:53

This is a very old thread people - and she never told us whether she had the vetting done or not and whether she bought it or not!

FWIW, I wouldn't pay 4k for a cob unless it was a registered Welsh D!

Backinthebox Thu 05-Sep-13 22:45:53

So it is! I didn't see the date. Fwiw, I wouldn't pay 4k for a Welsh D. Horses for courses, just goes to show.

Gilbertus Fri 06-Sep-13 08:52:26

I paid 4k for a Welsh c/hanoverian x grin

Gilbertus Fri 06-Sep-13 12:04:41

Wow those cobs are expensive! They are mainly showing cobs though rather than a nice chap for hacking. Some of them are lovely smile

Lymegreen Tue 10-Sep-13 13:36:05

My cob had a 5 stage vetting. The Vet said she might be prone to be overweight and needed de-lousing. Ten weeks later we had her scanned, and two weeks after that (3 months after the initial vetting) she produced a foal. Sometimes you can't win!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now