Educational Visits

(8 Posts)
BizzyFizzy Sat 03-Sep-16 18:10:52

Hello everyone. I am trying to map out educational visits for the coming year (new to the job, so making a start now).

I am teaching Science in a prep school in Surrey but would like to open this thread to everyone. If you have a particular visit that you think is great then please share it.

So far, from previous experience:

Wisley Butterflies (near Guildford), Jan/Feb, £3 per student, workshop, suitable for up to Y7

Amberley Museum and Heritage Centre (Arundel, W Sussex), March - October, tours and workshops, suitable for KS 2 - 4, complicated pricing but IRO £5 per child.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyards, fantastic place, but around £16 per child.

Looking forward to seeing recommendations from other teachers, especially of places that are free or low cost.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 03-Sep-16 18:16:27

DS's school took them to the Living Rainforest near Newbury last year which they all enjoyed

tinks269 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:19:23

One of the best places i ever took my class was to Fifteen (Jamie Oliver's teaching restaurant). The one I went to was in Cornwall but they are dotted around other places as well.
Upon arrival the class were split into 2 groups. Group 1 went to stand at the pass and were taught how to make tortellini by a couple of the chefs. They could see the kitchen working behind them and as they needed fresh pasta it was rolled out in front of them. Group 2 went into the private dining room and were introduced to a massive board of fresh ingredients from around the world which they could all taste. The groups then swapped.
After this they all sat down in the restaurant and were served fresh spaghetti with a tomato sauce before being handed a goodie bag on the way out. And it was all free!!

LunaLambBhuna Tue 06-Sep-16 22:39:58

Nower wood (Surrey Wildlife Trust) is nice. They cater for all ages right through from reception to a level field trips.

I quite like the Horniman Museum.

BizzyFizzy Wed 07-Sep-16 16:18:56

Thanks for these trips. I agree that Living Rainforest is a great trip. We went there when I was teaching in Berkshire. My DD has been to Nower Wood.

Keep the ideas coming! We teachers need to support one another!

At my new school, I was surprised to learn that all trips have to come out of department budgets rather than charging parents. The days of £30 a head trips are long gone for me!

littlecupcake Wed 07-Sep-16 22:55:33

The Look Out Discovery Centre in Bracknell for hands on science. Roald Dahl Gallery near Aylesbury is fantastic.

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Sep-16 23:02:06

Swanwick Air Traffic Control Centre
public.enquiries@nats.co.uk

Even if they aren't doing trips they could probably send out a controller or an engineer to talk.

TheSnowFairy Sun 11-Sep-16 12:40:40

Science Museum in London, Natural History Museums in London or Oxford?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now