Can teaching ever be 9-5?

(85 Posts)
nappyrat Thu 06-Feb-14 22:09:39

Is it a good option for fitting work around having a family like a lot of people think...or is that just not the case anymore? I hear of teachers doing such long days and so many extra duties. Just wondering if it can really work as well as people say if you have children?

nappyrat Thu 06-Feb-14 22:33:57

Thanks twins. It's not only that I thought it's family friendly that I'm interested, I think it would be v rewarding, and I'd love to pass on my enthusiasm for my subject. But at the same time, my dc are my total priority so I want to be there for them at all times...just worried that would be an issue.

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:34:06

NappyRat that sounds about right for ft

EvilTwins Thu 06-Feb-14 22:35:40

What's your subject?

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:35:46

I have often resented the fact that the kids I teach have to be more of a priority than my ownhmm However as one of mine is more independent now that makes it easier in one respect, I don't feel I am neglecting them so much.

defineme Thu 06-Feb-14 22:36:18

Dh's dept have shared schemes of work for all classes and so the planning isn't so onerous-obviously you tailor it to your class, but no one is doing a document for each lesson every day. Dh is definitely just doing a couple of notes alongside the shared scheme of work.He does get more frees because he's a head of faculty, but many of them are taken up with meetings and dept admin. It's a perfectly normal comp in average catchment with a recent good/outstanding features Ofsted.

nappyrat Thu 06-Feb-14 22:36:49

geography, twins

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:38:32

Planning isn't a problem once you have done it for a while. For me it's email accessibility (parents have your email address!) and new ways of marking (marking dialogue for example) that are time consuming and different from how it used to be when I started 20 years ago.

nappyrat Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:08

Is it a requirement to do all the extras - school play, clubs, lunch duties, duke of edinburgh etc etc, or not?

blueemerald Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:09

I work in a very small EBD school and work 8:30-5 most days (kids leave at 2:30, we have meetings until 3:30). But we only have 50 kids and I teach just over half of them. Planning takes a while and there are a lot of outside agency meetings. Plus PPA often gets eaten up by talking Boy X or Y down from an epic outburst. I'm an NQT and all of my exPGCE friends are working insane hours atm.

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:50

Ah geography...you'll be alright...no lunchtime clubs or concerts for you to put on, no peripatetic lessons and issues to sort out...You'll be in management before you know it (that's generally where management come from isn't it, humanities?!)

ravenAK Thu 06-Feb-14 22:41:28

I'm f/t secondary English, so ridiculously marking-heavy.

Fwiw, I've also taught Geography (albeit only KS3) & the markload is a LOT lighter. So it might not be as grim a picture as I'm painting for you!

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:42:19

It's not a requirement although schools do tend to put it in their job descriptions.... If you don't do it schools can make life v difficult for you indeed.

Hulababy Thu 06-Feb-14 22:43:08

My school starts at 8:40am so never going to be 9-5.

Littlefish Thu 06-Feb-14 22:43:33

"But at the same time, my dc are my total priority so I want to be there for them at all times...just worried that would be an issue."

I'm really sorry, but this will be an issue. As a teacher, it is very unlikely that you will be able to do things like assemblies, school plays, sports days etc. for your own children. The time commitment during term time can be extremely heavy even though the holidays are lovely.

How old are your children?

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:43:47

Yes RavenAK English marking...ouch! You have my sympathies.

EvilTwins Thu 06-Feb-14 22:44:12

Different subjects definitely have different marking workloads. I don't have as much marking as English teachers, but have loads of planning because my KS4 specs are really woolly. I love the creative side of it though, so I don't mind the work. The extra curricular stuff also takes a lot of my time, but I genuinely love it, and am happy to give up my time. I take my own kids along to Sunday rehearsals. I think it is possible to make it work. Several of my close friends at work have young kids as well and we all manage. Having a supportive other half helps a lot, and I am lucky with my kids' school in that it has a good breakfast /after school club. Also, my kids are (fingers crossed) rarely poorly. I've been to all their school Christmas plays, but have never been to a sports day or class assembly. It can work though.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 06-Feb-14 22:45:40

Interesting blue - I've just seen a job ad locally for a learning mentor in a small school for excluded/sick pupils. I wondered what it would be like. LEss pay than a teacher but obviously a lot less responsibility!

nappyrat Thu 06-Feb-14 22:45:48

off to settle a woken baby! ;) Will check back later / tmrw. Thanks everyone, this is so helpful.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 06-Feb-14 22:51:06

You have to think to that you are highly unlikely to be able to take time off for school play/sports day/anything to do with your childs schooling, whereas with a more flexible job you could.

Similarly you need a very good back up plan for sick children (we dont have doting family nearby and obviously cm/nursery don't take them.)

There are fantastic holidays though - and the job's never boring.BUt I think its one of the most inflexible jobs during term time.

rollonthesummer Thu 06-Feb-14 22:53:41

I've never heard if a school that starts after 9am, most begin beyween 8.30/8.45, so you'd need to get there at least 15 minutes before that. I'm in by 7.45 to get set up and the carpark is half full when I arrive. I leave between 5.45-6.30 them work 1-3 hours in the evening.

To the people (yes, dear friend, I'm looking at you) who can't see why, once you've been teaching a couple of years, you can't just dig out some old planning- pah, just, pah....

rollonthesummer Thu 06-Feb-14 22:54:20

Apologies for typos-I can spell, I just can't type properly on my phone...

Springcleanish Thu 06-Feb-14 22:55:28

Definitely not 9-5, work 7.30-5.30 every day, but try to only bring planning home. One half day or full day at weekend to catch up/ sort out following week. Meetings and after school events at least once a week. This term we've had 4 parents evenings, three until eight, and options evening until 9.30pm.
I've never been to my children's assemblies, sports days, nativities etc, and only ever picked my daughter up from school on 3 occasions, never taken her, and she's now in year six.
Would I change my job? Never. I love it, and try to make the holidays special to make up for term times.

hopefulgum Thu 06-Feb-14 22:57:37

I leave home at 8, but I have a 20 minute commute. My DS has to be collected from bus (he's only 5) at 3.35, so I leave work as soon as the bell goes (at 3:10) 3 out of 5 days (Dh does the other days, he's a teacher too). I rarely bring work home, but that is because I am a secondary teacher and get 350 minutes a week of DOTT time. Also, I've been teaching for over 20 years and have loads of programmes already set up. But I still find myself running to get the photocopying etc done. I try not to bring marking home, but usually have to during exam time and reporting time. I get up early (about 5 am) so I often do it then.

I find teaching is actually very good for me in regards to family life, time-wise. I like that I can come home when my children do, and have school holidays with them. However, the toughest thing, I find, is the amount of emotional/mind energy you have to spend throughout the day on your students, so when I get home, I am spent, and my children (I have three still at school and two who have left) have a tired, grumpy mum who isn't really up for helping with homework etc (though I do my best).

Having said all that, I really do like my job, most days anyway.

stillenacht Thu 06-Feb-14 22:58:48

Yes parents evenings... I have 7 a year (as I teach years 7-13), plus options evening and open evening and sixth form open evening and pastoral, whole staff,faculty meetings (although I only do 0.7 of all that)

Bloodyteenagers Thu 06-Feb-14 23:05:49

I am not a teacher but work in a school.
It is blatantly obvious the teacher who comes in just before the kids are due in and is out of the door as soon as she can. Her lessons are a joke, her management of the class is dire, she has no lesson plan. She is currently serving her notice.

This school has no marking and no homework, the arrangement is very good for ppa and the teachers generally appreciate this. But still they are in by 8:30. They leave at 6 because its kick out time. They do work at home, and some weeks more than others. The work over the weekends. They have to come in for x days over the holidays. Some cpd runs outside school hours including weekends and holidays.

The endless reports. The endless lesson planning. The endless paperwork. The endless observations. The endless conversations with parents wanting their little darlings to be waited on hand and foot. Conversations with management. Conversations with the people who hold the purse strings when vital equipment is needed. The endless calls with other professionals and all the extra paperwork this requires.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now