Help with finding a children's song with a story for PGCE interview

(120 Posts)
josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:36:48

I have an interview for a PGCE in primary and as part of it I need to tell the lecturers a story as if they're children using props, it must be geared towards 4-8 and I want to get them to participate. I plan on using a guitar as my prop and telling them a story through song. so does anyone have any ideas?

much appreciated
josh

Iwaswatchingthat Sun 01-Dec-13 22:11:18

It isn't about learning from the story itself or you could question any story ever written:

"What do you learn from Jane Eyre? Don't fall in love with a man with a wife locked in the attic?"

You're missing the point that young children need to learn about story structure, traditional language, vocabulary, repetitive language and how it is used in stories, that stories have a beginning, middle and ending etc. etc. etc.

I wanted to give up, but I just couldn't.

Iwaswatchingthat Sun 01-Dec-13 22:12:39

Also the learning station are quite obviously going to promote themselves. Good teaching is about using your judgement as to whether the resources/ideas are appropriate for what you need them for and more importantly the children in your class.

Peacocklady Sun 01-Dec-13 22:27:48

Find a story that kids will love.
Then compose your own sound effects or accompaniment on the guitar, don't let using the guitar dictate and limit your choice.
I got a job using the hungry caterpillar in my lesson by the way! There is do much work you can do off the back of that book.
How about 6 dinner Sid if you like cats?

Huitre Sun 01-Dec-13 22:28:31

Bear Hunt has repeated language, onomatopoeia/playing with the sounds of language in a fun way, a family group to be discussed, the ability to overcome fear, an idea about what is too much to handle and if there are things you shouldn't mess with, humour, a bit of scariness (but enjoyably scary for a group of Reception kids and at an appropriate level), ideas about textures (could link to science activities for this age), ideas about different kinds of environments and what would be their particular features (forests, rivers etc). That's just off the top of my head, as a parent not a teacher.

lougle Sun 01-Dec-13 22:28:42

Do you know, I volunteer in a Y1 class and for weeks they've been reading 'Goldilocks'. They've been sharing different versions of Goldilocks.

The learning that I've seen taking place! They are expanding their vocabularies hugely by pointing out 'similarities' and 'differences'. Using observation skills to see how minor details change, and in turn learning that a story is still the same story if it has a core that remains the same, even if everything else changes.

They've been learning that there are patterns in stories. That there is a meaning to the story, etc.

You reduce 'Going on a Bear Hunt' to 'go hunting for bears.' It's nothing to do with that. It's an opportunity to embed prepositions into every day language. To extend vocabulary to include adjectives. To use onomatopoeic words in stories. This leads on to the children themselves using that language in their own stories.

lougle Sun 01-Dec-13 22:29:00

x-posted with Huitre.

Huitre Sun 01-Dec-13 22:31:42

Yes, I help out at school too, lougle! I've learnt a lot!

lougle Sun 01-Dec-13 22:31:46

It's also a fantastic book to teach sequencing forwards and backwards - the family run away from the bear in reverse order through the different obstacles.

Huitre Sun 01-Dec-13 22:39:30

There are so many areas of learning you could get out of it. Science, Geography, PSHE, literacy, the list just goes on. A great choice for a Reception class and they would probably enjoy every minute of it. I bet you could even get Drama in there too and work up a very creditable performance as long as you weren't worrying too much about your own performance...

nilbyname Sun 01-Dec-13 22:40:29

Slinky Malinky stories are good, there's one about counting and sneaking in/out and a terrible noisy bruiser of a cat.

Bear hunt is fantastic...could be told as a piece of folk poetry where rhythm plays a big part, you could read your story in a "bed" with a toy bear...

I don't like peas by nick sharrat is also good, and funny, and could be told comically with some strums of the guitar and you could increase/decrease tempo.

Singing a song and telling a story are 2 different things so make sure the tale telling is your objective here, not performing a song.

Huitre Sun 01-Dec-13 22:41:21

I love Slinky Malinky and Hairy MacLairy. Superb ideas.

lougle Sun 01-Dec-13 22:46:28

A Squash and a Squeeze is a brilliant story. Very easy to use props with.

The Gruffalo.

So many.

blueemerald Sun 01-Dec-13 22:54:08

I've been mulling this over and if I were you (and I'm a secondary English NQT now) I would learn one of Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes (The Three Little Pigs is my fave) for 6-8 year olds. You can do great voices, actions, character and building props.

Whichever story (story not song) you pick make sure you plan some follow up activities. It would be better to stand out because you've shown where your activity fits in a scheme of work (you've gone above and beyond what was asked) than stand out because you can play the guitar (at a primary PGCE? Don't think they won't have seen it a hundred times before)

blueemerald Sun 01-Dec-13 22:56:52

www.lovereading4kids.co.uk have classified 'Revolting Rhymes' as being suitable for 5+ and 7+. You could even plan follow up activities for two age groups (5-6 and 7-8). That will really make you stand out.

josh751 Tue 17-Dec-13 13:28:02

Hi for those of you who are following this post etc. Just like to let you know that I did "The Cat Came Back" with the cards and guitar and they absolutely loved it and best of all I past that part of the interview! I'm not here to gloat but here to thank you guys for steering me away from She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain.. It was because if you I found The Cat Came Back so Merci smile

You past that part? Tut tut! Teaching?

Just kidding! a little well done!

josh751 Tue 17-Dec-13 14:43:24

god you people are cheeky, I was trying to thank you and thats what I get :/

storynanny Tue 17-Dec-13 15:32:39

Er the poster was pointing out your spelling mistake. Did you not notice it?

I should have italicised...

I may put that on my gravestone.

Peacocklady Tue 17-Dec-13 22:24:13

Brill! Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now