Books for behaviour management

(14 Posts)
SummerHoliDidi Sun 28-Jul-13 22:38:08

I liked Bill Rogers too.

Donki Sun 28-Jul-13 22:35:50

Sue Cowley wrote "getting the buggers to behave"
I found Bill Rogers suited my style much better. Rob Plevin is quite good too.

sashh Sun 28-Jul-13 03:00:52

how to get the buggers to behave - can't remember who wrote it though.

deleted203 Tue 23-Jul-13 20:56:50

Google Rob Plevin - he does free videos and has some excellent ideas.

Donki Tue 23-Jul-13 09:09:58

The NUT course was really good - and gave me the opportunity to talk to other teachers about our experiences which was very useful.

LuvMyBoyz Tue 23-Jul-13 06:02:18

The pocketbook is a good start. But all of these have been useful to me ( secondary). Best wishes with starting your new job.

bigTillyMint Sun 21-Jul-13 11:57:18

Bill Rogers is good. His old videos are a bit grating, but I bet there's some newer stuff.

Inclusionist Sun 21-Jul-13 07:41:46

I second the pocketbook. It loks like it would be really noddy but there's actually some good stuff in it!

nailslikeknives Sat 20-Jul-13 22:03:58

I'm seconding bill rogers. His books are great, you might even catch him lecturing as he occasionally tours universities.

Donki Sat 20-Jul-13 22:00:09

I think that the books by Bill Rogers are good. They really helped me when I returned to work after a career break, and did supply in a number of challenging schools.
Also, which Union are you in? The NUT runs a good (free) course for supply teachers and returners, and another good course on behaviour management (also free for members).

riskit4abiskit Tue 16-Jul-13 20:26:17

getting the buggers to behave is a good read

cupcakelover1983 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:34:32

The behaviour management pocketbook (search on amazon) is good for quick reference. I also did a workshop with andy bass a few years ago and it was really useful.

The best thing to do it be yourself and be consistent as the pupils need to know where the boundaries are and what will happen of they cross them. (I'm a secondary teacher too by the way!)

snowmummy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:23:24

Are you looking for strategies to manage behaviour or do you want to understand the reasons for bad behaviour?

If you're interested in the latter, I've just started reading 'Why don't students like school?' by Daniel Willingham. Seems quite good so far.

gloucestergirl Mon 15-Jul-13 21:17:05

I have had a break of 18 months and amabout to start a new job. I am a secondary science teacher. Behaviour management has also been my weak spot. It definitely improved with experience, but I'd like a few ideas to get me back into the mindset. Can anyone recommend any suitable books to read over before term starts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now