How to prepare for interview / update on last 4 years?? (retrain?!)

(3 Posts)
Shellington Sat 02-Feb-13 17:08:57

Thanks Pop have e-mailed a local school to volunteer to see what they say. Have an interview next week shock no idea how it will pan out, but worth a shot...!

PopMusic Fri 01-Feb-13 22:42:09

I think the idea of volunteering (as a TA type of person ) in a local school is a really good idea. Best way to get up to speed. Just make sure you get actual classroom experience though. Also, it's a good idea to volunteer, to begin with, across whole of primary so you can get a whole school view but then can concentrate in KS1. Then if you still like it , how about some supply work?

Shellington Fri 01-Feb-13 12:29:33

I last taught in Summer 2009.
I am applying at present for p/t vacancies - KS1.

Given the unlikely scenario that I am offered an interview - how do I gen up on the years out of the loop? I had training on, and used, the 'new' Lit & Num frameworks as well as Letters&Sounds for phonics - but sense a lot may have changed since. Also moved towards ("back") to themed/topic planning and work, but am unsure what the hot issues are atm? Is ECM still A Big Deal? Are there new incentives / schemes that stand out?

I have not got the first clue about 'Gove' though believe his name has become a swear word of sorts confused - I have had my sleep-deprived hands full with two little ones and not kept myself in the loop at all. I am a very organised, fair and caring teacher and, since having children myself, really appreciate the importance of home-school relationships and the use of VAK styles of learning.

Thinking about it, do I / should I / could I retrain? Or would it be a waste of time? I am thinking of volunteering at a local primary school to get a foot in the door - is this a good idea?

Thanks for any ideas - including interview / portfolio / sample lessons thoughts for KS1 (here's hoping!) TIA thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now