Anyone use a Loc8tor Pet for Cats?

(9 Posts)

MCat keeps getting shut in various neighbour's houses, terrifying himself and us. Thinking about getting a Loc8tor for Cats, mixed reviews though. Anyone care to share experiences of these things?

orangemog Thu 03-Jul-14 10:31:09

I've had the loc8tor plus for almost a year now and it's a godsend. The range isn't all that great, but we've a wooded area out the back of our house and I've tracked my boy down a few times when he's refusing to come in. The only problem I've had is the collar tags use really obscure batteries and the replacements I bought are too loose so don't work properly. I've ordered some from the loc8tor website now though, along with some new tags because they're not waterproof and I didn't have the splashproof cases (which come with the pets version).

I've been using it for years. As orangemog says the range isn't great, but I've still found it incredibly useful. I don't tag all my (20 odd) cats, but I've used them on for example a cat who became senile and kept wandering and getting lost. I also put them on any cat who I think may be at risk of serious illness (the old ones for example) as a dying cat will try to hide. I wouldn't like to be without it.

The reviews on Amazon were mixed, and the ones on their own website glowing, so good to hear from others who use them. Thanks smile

Rollypoly100 Sun 06-Jul-14 23:25:48

I've got a G-Paws tracker. It's not a real time tracker but will tell you where they go. My cat does all his trekking around between 2.00 and 6.00 am and then he sleeps most of the day. The Loc8ter sounds useful if you want to know where they are at any time.

Well, I've ordered one, will let you know how I` get on with it.

splendide Tue 08-Jul-14 12:54:09

I quite fancy something like this but I'm wondering if a GPS type thing would be better? The range is too short to be useful if they're very lost surely.

orangemog Tue 08-Jul-14 13:28:20

Splendide The GPS one is quite a lot bigger than the other Loc8tor type ones - if your cat is a bigg'un it'll be fine, but it would have been way too big for any of mine.
The range on the Loc8tor can be quite limited - but you can wander around the neighbourhood beeping until it picks up a signal. My boy doesn't ever go far because there's a wooded area right out the back of my house, but I have had to wander round sometimes.
Also, I don't think the GPS ones are actually traceable? I think you have to plug them into a computer to see where the cat has been. My DP has an actual GPS tracker that has a sim card in, for his work case, and it texts you it's location - but that one is way too big for any cat (except maybe a maine coon or savannah or something!).

splendide Tue 08-Jul-14 19:26:12

Oh I see Orange, thanks. She's teeny so GPS probably wouldn't work. I'll have a think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now