help name my kitten

(60 Posts)

im the proud owner of a girl kitten thats black with white feet and a white nose smile

I want an unsual name please any ideas?

ScentedScandal Sat 08-Feb-14 12:10:44

Awww...that's lovelysmile She sounds gorgeous.

We've named her Betty it suits her.. smile

ScentedScandal Sat 08-Feb-14 12:05:14

Jemima.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 12:02:08

I think we need a picture of her, eh?

She sounds as if she's getting there. As I said, it's just a huge change for her and she could take a day or two to get into her stride.

You're doing well. smile

I hope so shes barely eaten a mouthful hmm
I gave her a tiny bit of kitten milk and she drank that but hasn't touched her water..
by the way.. i love my cat grin

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 11:28:04

PS - now that she's done some clearing out, she'll maybe eat a little more.

smile

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 11:22:59

Yay! First use of litter tray is always a tense time. She'll be fine now that she's pood - it would have been on her mind and it's a big thing about settling in. (I poo therefore I belong...)

Clean up fast because she'll be peeing there shortly.

Well done her.

smile

whoop we have poo grin and in her litter tray.. im so proud smile

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 11:11:49

This may be a bit TMI but there are loads of other references on the net. Just google a bit. (Hopefully, she sort it out herself soon.)

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 11:09:16

They sometimes like to do their evacuation in a set order - eg poo before pee. (Who can read a cat's mind.) Sounds to me as if she knows where she has to go but wants to do a poo and is maybe a tiny bit physically or mentally constipated.

Pooing is the more difficult for a cat so if she's still scratching around this afternoon, maybe see if you can stimulate the action a little. (I'll get you a reference in a minute.) 9 weeks is old enough to be on their own if they've been taught by a competent Mom but the house she came from doesn't sound like it was the best of environments so maybe she was used to going in a pile of other poo and can't cope with the embarassment of soiling a clean tray! (If so, that will change.)

PipkinsPal Sat 08-Feb-14 10:27:31

Domino

were just keeping her in the kitchen at the moment..(except last night where I may have sneaked downstairs and fell asleep with her on the sofa)
ive just blitzed the kitchen and can't find anything...she does keep going in the litter tray and scratching about but she hasn't done anything.
the litter is pettex clean paws and ive got a huge bag so she will need to get used to itwink
thanks again I really appreciate your advice x

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 10:16:52

PS - I had some 'especially good food' from the vet's last time Seniorboy had a bit of a constipation. He despised it.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 10:15:46

That's good. Once she starts wandering, she'll be OK.

I have to admit that I'm wondering whether you'll find a little 'present' somewhere if she was too worried to leave her fastness and approach the litter tray. Maybe put a few shreds of newspaper on top of the litter to help her realize that that's where she's to go if that's what she's been used to ? (You can remove it in due course.)

What kind of litter are you using, again? (They can be real fussy.)

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Feb-14 10:02:34

Some kitten biscuits need softening with water. I didn't realise until I read the pack & realised why he wasn't eating them.

He wasn't my first kitten either blush

Hi Cozie i think she's 9 weeks.. She's come round a bit I had got her some kitten biscuits from the vet she wasn't impresses wink

I just boiled some chicken and she's had a tiny bit of that I've only got the youngest here today and he's trying so hard to stay quiet and leave her alone smile

She's still not done a wee or a poo..we'll not one I've found anyway ..
But she is out of the litter tray and wondering about xx

Nomorepeppapig Sat 08-Feb-14 08:39:30

Tilly
Jessica
Susie
Mary
Poppy

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 08:38:28

I forgot to ask - how old is she?

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 08:31:53

I think I'd be just a little concerned but not completely overcome by worry. This is huge for her and it sounds as if she's been in a pretty disorganized house so the contrast will be as big as it can be, really.

Firstly - are you completely sure she hasn't had anything to eat or drink yet? She could have had a few laps/morsels and it would be difficult to see.

Secondly, until she's on her feet, I'd keep the DCs out of the room (Sorry - that won't be easy, I know) and sit in there myself with a book or watching telly on low volume. Just providing an atmosphere of calmness.

Was she used to noise in her previous house ? Sometimes, having a constant noise soure like a radio or telly on low volume all the time can be a comfort to them.

Morning...

She's still not been for a wee or poo and hasn't had anything to eat or drink.. Do I need to worry now?

Thanks Cozie, I really appreciate your advice shock

cozietoesie Fri 07-Feb-14 21:46:58

You may have it there with the feeling safer thought. Maybe see if you can make her up a bed or a comfy thing to sit on in a darkish place - behind a chair or sofa, say, and just leave her there to adjust. She'll come out eventually.

TamzinGrey Fri 07-Feb-14 21:38:54

Our dainty little rescue girl has kept her original name - Harriet.

Hi Cozie thanks for replying I cannot tell you how glad I am to get her away from the house she was in sad the litter tray was filthy and just had scraps of newspaper in... God knows what was in her food bowl it was massive chunks of biscuits no water grr it makes me so bloody angry!!

So no it's not the same cat litter but it's a litter tray with a lid on.. So maybe she feels safe there.?

She's not had anything to eat or drink she lets me pick her up with no issue not heard a purr from her yet..

It's like having a new baby envy

cozietoesie Fri 07-Feb-14 20:03:32

If it's the same litter she was used to, she may be miserable and lost and happy to find a familiar smell. If this is her first time away from Mom and her litter mates, it will be the biggest trauma in her life so far, remember.

I'd get a cardboard box ready for her with a fleece inside for coziness - or a warm lap - gently take her out of the litter tray and relocate her. She should have got over it by tomorrow.

Have you got food and water around for her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now