HELP I have found a kitten in my garden

(90 Posts)
technicallychallenged Sat 07-Dec-13 21:23:29

So yeah just that really
It's a little tabby kitten and it looks youngish I would say less than a year old.
DD(5) told me there was a strange cat in the garden I told her to leave it be. (She usually says things like that to get out of going to bed)
Anyway I went to take the rubbish out and there was a cat looking at me. It looks very thin and pitiful and it had no collar and it broke my heart so I took it in and gave it a little water and a little tuna.
I am wondering what to do now. Any help please?

girliefriend Sat 07-Dec-13 23:25:58

When I was worried about my cat one wend I rang up the oohs number and she said it would be £90 for a consultation shock

If you can make wait til mon I would grin

cozietoesie Sat 07-Dec-13 23:33:35

My vet uses an OOH and it's halfway across the city rather than just down the road. £90 though!

sashh Sun 08-Dec-13 05:16:15

Of yo are not interested in having a pet then you may be able to hand him/her over to the RSPCA or a local shelter at the vets.

I did this when I found a young cat a few years ago, I just filled a form in saying where he had been found. It cost me nothing and this was a Sunday.

If you phone first and they are actually open then they probably won't charge you just to scan for a chip.

sunseasurf Sun 08-Dec-13 06:07:02

This isn't madratlady's cat which she lost outside the vets? I don't know how to link threads? (I know it's pretty unlike but ...)

Mildpanic Sun 08-Dec-13 06:19:56

RSPCA and Cats protection all open on a Sunday. You are better contacting them. You don't need to be going to the vet on a Sunday. Why would you want to incur a charge for a cat that isn't yours.
Lots of local cat rescue places also, have a look. Most open on a Sunday.
Someone may be missing their pet dreadfully so please check out these options first before considering keeping it. The times any of ours have gone missing have been awful until we got them back. Going missing is unfortunately a regular hazard with being a cat owner.

technicallychallenged Sun 08-Dec-13 11:42:50

We are going to take cat to the cats protection this afternoon to get her checked. DH and out two eldest are currently knocking around our village ask if anyone has lost their cat.
She seems fine and she has used the make shift litter box (thanks for that) and she is quite happy for our DCs to stroke her which makes me think that she is someones lost pet rather than a random stray. She doesn't seem interested in going outside again either.

mildpanic of course we will check every option first I would hate to take someones pet plus I am not sure if we would keep her anyway.

Oh and when DD came down this morning she said 'I told you so mummy didnt I say so, silly mummy' and she won't let it drop either

Madratlady Sun 08-Dec-13 11:48:08

Not mine sun my girl is a black cat.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 11:53:08

Hah! She won't let it drop for the next 30 or 40 years.

technicallychallenged Sun 08-Dec-13 12:11:01

madratlady sorry to hear about your cat

Oh I know cozietoesie I will never hear the end of it.

technicallychallenged Sun 08-Dec-13 19:29:39

Cat update
We took her to the vets and she is thin and it looks like she had a broken tail which has healed funny. She is not microchipped. The vet has our details and have given us a hand making posters to stick up around the village. We have brought her back with us and we have some food to give her. DH is going around the village again asking around and we have called the local cat charities and some other vets asking them to contact us if someone asks for her.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 08-Dec-13 19:38:58

Aw poor baby. Could you take her? Any chance at all envy

technicallychallenged Sun 08-Dec-13 19:47:24

Maybe we could take her but I want to make sure she doesn't belong to anyone first.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 19:47:33

Poor lass. No wonder she's so friendly to you - sounds as if she's had a rough old time and that would be particularly hard if she was an abandoned pet with few feral type skills.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 08-Dec-13 19:47:46

I wonder if she was abandoned when her tail broke because vets treatment was needed?

<cynical>

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 19:50:55

Who can tell. The Lodger was abandoned because his owners moved house. (And he was past the real kitten stage so maybe his charms didn't quite outweigh the preservation of the new decor.) I'm long past being surprised by people dumping animals. Shocked and saddened yes - but not surprised.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 08-Dec-13 20:05:48

Aw don't say that fluffy sad

Mildpanic Sun 08-Dec-13 20:13:05

Sorry technically, of course you will check it out thoroughly.
She sounds lucky that you have found her. Hope you get a good conclusion.
We took in a stray 3 years ago and she is the most amazing girl, full of character and we are sure she somehow found us really.
Just lost one of our older boys so feeling a bit sensitive at the moment.
Well done for your efforts.

TheGonnagle Sun 08-Dec-13 20:16:33

Sounds like the newest member of your family has just moved in smile
You know you want to......

TheBunsOfPanettone Sun 08-Dec-13 20:22:21

TechnicallyChallenged well done for looking after this lost little cat.

You are probably aware but it's best to make a poster with a picture only of the cat's face, or maybe a profile, leaving some identifying marks out so that these can be verified with the owner, should one come forward. Sadly some people out there who want to acquire cats for less than innocent reasons.

Did the vet tell you whether or not she has been neutered?

technicallychallenged Sun 08-Dec-13 20:48:39

Thebunsofpanettone yes thank you the vet told us about that. The cat has not been spayed either.

DH has just come back he called at the houses they didn't get to and those that were empty this morning and no-one has said she is their cat so it looks like she is here for another night.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 20:51:58

The first of many, I suspect.

sashh Mon 09-Dec-13 09:23:38

Aw she has a new home.

You know we need pics don't you?

crazyhamsterbackonthego Mon 09-Dec-13 09:35:07

Try posting on mymoggy.com & also your local Facebook pet sights as they were the first places I looked when my cat went missing

cozietoesie Mon 09-Dec-13 09:36:56

Thinking about it, she was real lucky. A broken tail could so easily have turned quite nasty.

I would get her spayed straight away. If someone does eventually claim her well they should of course spay her anyway. At least this way you can be sure it's done and you could always ask them to reimburse you.

You certainly don't want to risk her getting pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now