Cat keeps trying to bury her food

(28 Posts)
theredhen Sat 02-Mar-13 08:39:30

I have two cats. The youngest (she's 2) is constanly scraping round her food bowl, which I think means she's trying to bury it to save for later. grin she likes to dip in and out if the food bowl and eat little and often.

My other cat is a bit of a pig and wolfs down as much as possible in one go.

Invariably he eats the other cats food because she's left it for "later".

Hence I suspect, why she is trying to bury it from him.

I've tried feeding them seperately but as she leaves her food for several hours, should I keep them apart for this long?

FreshLeticia Fri 08-Mar-13 09:38:13

Mine tries to bury cups of coffee left on the table! I think he thinks it's poo. Not that he's even allowed on the table, but he takes no notice of that.

FreshLeticia Fri 08-Mar-13 09:41:32

He is Burmese though, so no amount of telling him will make a jot of difference.

cozietoesie Fri 08-Mar-13 09:55:57

Try temporary exclusion (outside the kitchen or sitting room door) after a firm telling off. Usually works with Orientals - they hate being deliberately separated from people and regard it as a dreadful punishment. (Perhaps the only reproof some of them actually notice!) About 20 minutes to half an hour should do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now