Vaccinations/boosters??

(12 Posts)
Tiredemma Sat 26-Jul-14 21:22:50

We have had our Cocker Spaniel since April 2012 ( she was 8 weeks old)- she had her initial injections and booster again last year.

Received a 'card' through the post yesterday stating that she is now due for more injections this month-
How often do they have them? I alway thought it was just the first ones and then teh booster?

Floralnomad Sat 26-Jul-14 21:25:18

Yearly.

Tiredemma Sat 26-Jul-14 21:25:54

forever?

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 26-Jul-14 21:26:40

Yes. Yearly boosters for the duration

Floralnomad Sat 26-Jul-14 21:32:35

The alternative is to have blood taken and checked for immunity levels ,but that's probably as expensive if not more so - yearly.

Tiredemma Sat 26-Jul-14 21:42:03

Ok thanks -
Ill book her in then

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 26-Jul-14 21:44:03

They get a check up at the same time. Weighed, teeth checked, chest listened to etc.

Really is worth it, for peace of mind smile

SpicyPear Sun 27-Jul-14 10:56:26

If you have insurance a yearly health check is also often a condition of the cover.

Tiredemma Sun 27-Jul-14 11:08:15

Thanks-

yes have insurance with John Lewis - Just checked cover and it does state about a yearly check up.
I dont know why I thought it was only the initial and then one year after (I must be getting it confused with the baby immunisations!)

ggirl Sun 03-Aug-14 17:46:14

I wouldn't vaccinate yearly unless antibody titre levels were checked and it was needed. I don't think it's that expensive and better than injecting your dog with unneeded vaccine.

affafantoosh Sun 03-Aug-14 22:20:38

Ggirl surely you still vaccinate against lepto?

The other core diseases are generally only boosted every three years in the UK anyway. Lepto vaccines are very poor and have a short duration of immunity. This is the only reason that dogs in the UK are usually advisedto have annual vacines ( unless they are high risk for kennel cough).

ggirl Mon 04-Aug-14 10:10:21

Yes lepto being the exception

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now