My son wants a Pug

(13 Posts)
dollyholly123 Thu 12-Jun-14 15:48:07

My son has been going on and on about us getting a pet pug for some time now. To be fair, hes done his research about them, and as im only now working a few hours a week, i'm in a good position to give it lots of attention.I've had dogs most of my life, and miss having one about the house.
We don't know anybody with a pug, but I was wondering if anyone out there has one and could share their advice/experiences with me.

dollyholly123 Thu 12-Jun-14 15:52:32

We will be going down the rescue route, as most of our dogs have been rescues, and they have made such fine pets

peachactiviaminge Thu 12-Jun-14 15:57:56

Has your son researched all the health problems with pugs? You will need comprehensive pet insurance to cover the dog as its highly likely it will develop some form of issue with its breathing. I'm glad you are looking at rescues as its inbreeding and over breeding that have caused these issues but I really think you need to research the health issues yourself.

dollyholly123 Thu 12-Jun-14 16:10:20

Absolutely, Peach, we've got a book all about them and we are well aware of the health problems, and it is a considerable list! We certainly don't intend to go into this blindly, and agreed, pet insurance is an absolute must! Like I said, I have kept dogs all my life, including toy breeds and short nosed breeds such as boxers.
I was really wanting folk with pugs as pets to share their experiences if possible.

VetNurse Thu 12-Jun-14 16:17:28

They have lovely characters but not a breed I would ever have. Way to many health problems which often ends in heartache. Unfortunately they are a breed which are popular for their looks and it is their looks which cause all their problems. Maybe steer him towards a less deformed breed.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 12-Jun-14 16:58:55

They are very strong willed, no stubborn little dogs. They do have tremendous personalities. Boxers really are almost normal nosed compared to pugs and their Brachycephalic airway disease is at least 10 times worse.

LadyVJJ Thu 12-Jun-14 17:12:47

I have a pug/shitzu cross, he is 7 years old and we've had him nearly 5 years. He is extremely stubborn, loves his sleep and is a real character.
The health problems we have encountered are cherry eye, which is common in "bulge-eyed" breeds and also his jaw doesn't meet which has resulted in terrible teeth/gums. Other than that he is a fab dog!
He prefers adult company, but will tolerate DD, who is always trying to cuddle him, but he is not that sort of dog. He doesn't like being fussed over very much.
As he is a x-breed he doesn't have a puggy flat face, we haven't noticed breathing problems aside from him snoring like a wart-hog grin

peachactiviaminge Thu 12-Jun-14 18:17:11

Sorry blush I panicked at the idea of someone going in on their childs reasearch and later sadly dealing with the fact later on after obtaining the dog that it just wasn't possible. Again my apologies for leaping to conclusions and good luck!

Kitsmummy Thu 12-Jun-14 19:08:33

I have a pug x French bulldog, she looks v puggy. I love her to bits and she is awesome with the children, I think there is a pic on my profile.

We've been very lucky health wise, no problems and she's 3 now, HOWEVER I would be very wary of getting a full pug. She plays with one in the park sometimes and his breathing and mobility compared to hers is absolutely awful, she's like a world class athlete compared to him!

I think I'd go for a pug cross to be honest (but rescue rather than bought as puppy, we shouldn't be encouraging this crappy kind of breeding). I also think you'd have a long wait to get a rescue full pug, they're snapped up as soon as they come into rescue.

There will always be room in my life for a pug (x)

Urvy Thu 12-Jun-14 19:40:58

2 in my extended family. They're charming, really affectionate and very characterful! They breathe very noisily, even at rest and moult constantly. They also have slightly protruding bum holes, which makes me hate them sitting on me!

They limit how much fun you can have with them, compared to say, a little crossbreed or normal shaped dog. He won't be able to do running around with it, or bike rides or long walks. Seems an inappropriate dog for an averagely active child.

They're very tolerant of my children (2 and 5)

PumpkinsMummy Tue 17-Jun-14 22:10:14

Warning - essay!!
I have a pug. She is 10 now and starting to slow down. Health problems we have had so far
-several teeth had to be removed under anaesthetic, common problem as pugs have more teeth than average.
-Nostrils widened and soft palate shaved to aid breathing, we had this done before any problems arose under advice from the vet to minimise any health concerns and make sure she was healthy when she was operated on.
-Ulcer in eye, antibiotics needed but healed well and quickly, very common problem in pugs as their eyes poke out.
-Nails grow long quicker than average and she HATES having her feet touched. Both common problems apparently.
-Cannot walk her in hot weather now she is older but she doesn't mind as she is lazier now.
-Problems jumping up and down on things meaning she has to e supervised in case she hurts herself being too ambitious.
- I got mine as a re-home from a breeder retiring her. She had already had an op for a septic pregnancy from her second litter at 2.

That said she is currently very healthy, happy and well. She has had no ill effects from any of the anaesthetics and has a wonderful quality of life, but she has cost a fortune and very little of this will be covered by normal insurance as they are common breed problems so you will have to get very comprehensive (and probably expensive) insurance.

Personally I don't think pugs go with young children sorry. They are very cute and adorable, follow you round etc and children always want to pick them up and cuddle them, but they are very head heavy and it is not safe for them to do so. Also because of their eyes and breathing children racing round with pointy toys or sticks etc and getting them over excited is a worry. Pugs can be surprisingly agile and very active and they love to pootle around after you wherever you go. They snore and puffle all the time, they do have sticky out bumholes too grin.

I now have a 3 year old and I have to constantly tell him to leave the dog alone. He is just too boisterous and she is not robust enough to play with him. Nor does she want to to be honest, pugs tend to bond to just one person and will be their dog iyswim.

If I were in your shoes I would research the best dog to have for your family, and get that one regardless of the breed your DS wants. I waited 18 years to choose my pug, he will be fine with any dog when it gets there!

No no no no no no.

I have spent the last long decade with three rescue pugs.

They shit and piss wherever they like, whenever they like.

They moult like no breed I have EVER encountered like, seriously.

They fart and snore and honk and snort.

They can't be walked in the heat as they can't pant properly to cool down.

They are expensive to insure, are a theft risk god knows why

They eat ANYTHING. They eat constantly. No food will be safe.

They are horrid and I will never be without one grin

If your son is serious, he needs to speak to Josie at Pug Welfare rescue. There is an epic waiting list, but she will re home as she sees fit, it's not first come first served.

Alternatively, if he wants to buy a puppy, I can put you in touch with proper breeders. Expect to pay £1200 per pup.

DO NOT buy a pup cheaper,there is no such thing as a bargain. They won't have the all important, but very new, PDE testing done which is the main cause of death in Pug pups.

If you need any help, pm me.

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 20-Jun-14 18:13:35

My experience with pugs comes to this: they vaguely smell like sweaty arse. All the time. Even just after a bath. They are, however, real characters and out of a sample of the three I know, friendly and tolerant. Even putting aside the sweaty arse thing, I couldn't have one. They ate quite delicate dogs health wise and I just know they'd break my heart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now