I very nearly ran over a dog today...

(8 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 12-Mar-14 21:18:41

... because it was being walked on a pavement with one of those extending leads and the human was oblivious. I had to do a big swerve to avoid it which I wouldn't have been able to do if there'd been oncoming traffic.

Please, dog owners, don't use extending leads on pavements.

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Mar-14 21:22:36

Maybe the lead came off "lock" without the owner knowing, saying that, i don't like flexileads

PolterGoose Wed 12-Mar-14 21:38:28

I don't think so, she was walking with the dog slightly ahead of her and the lead was slowly extending, then dog looped back and ran in the road IYSWIM?

moosemama Thu 13-Mar-14 17:46:00

I loathe flexi-leads, they are the devil's own work and dangerous to both man and beast.

Mine are both walked on multi-use leads set up as short/traffic leads on the pavement and then loosened onto the long set up when we get to the fields/park. Pup has a longline for free running.

Hope you're ok Polter, it's a horrible shock when you almost hit something/one.

PolterGoose Thu 13-Mar-14 17:48:12

Thanks moose, it was a shock, ds was in the car and it would have been awful if I'd hit the dog, it would have died without a doubt.

moosemama Thu 13-Mar-14 17:59:30

Oh goodness, with ds in the car as well. Thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic and you and ds are both ok.

MothershipG Thu 13-Mar-14 18:14:29

It's just so stupid, I really don't understand why some people do this??? Did the owner even notice what had happened?

In the past when I've used an extendable in the park I always swap it for a normal lead for the road part of the walk.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 13-Mar-14 18:19:14

One of my friends has killed 4 dogs! I don't know how he has managed to do this horrid isn't it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now